Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

TA Testing

When doing the drop test for TA there’s usually a slight color change and then an obvious color change with the next drop. Which drop should I be using for my readings?
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in ‘70’s, has 8’ deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA Testing

Once you are sure it stops changing completely, be certain with one more drop, and if that final one doesn't change it any more, don't count it. Always push your endpoint to the end where there is no more color change.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: TA Testing

Thanks!
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in ‘70’s, has 8’ deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Lowering TA

How long does it usually take to get a sense of the new PH & TA readings after dosing with MA, or is it pretty much right away?

I tested about a half an hour afterwards and PH dropped as expected. My TA, on the other hand, had no movement. I'm aerating now to bring PH back up and in a few days I can try again. I'm just wondering if my test only about a half an hour into the dose isn't providing a true accurate picture of TA...

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Re: Lowering TA

It is a process. I have been working on this since finishing my SLAM. I add enough MA to drop PH to 7 and then aerate 24-48 hours until PH comes back up to 7.5-8.2 ranges and do it again. I find if I do it every 24 hours it goes faster.

- - - Updated - - -

Results after SLAM
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

A half hour is usually good for pH but my personal preference is one hour for acid mixing. You should not expect to see a lot of TA movement unless you make pretty significant changes to the pH. Larger TA movements happen over time. You can see any TA shift about as soon as you can pH after an addition and mixing, but big shifts have to be done over days, or weeks usually. Making small shifts over time that is.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

How long should swimmers wait until entering the pool after a MA dose? I suppose it matters on the quantity but lets say like 40oz...

8. Back To Top    #8

Added in front of a return with the pump running I usually wait about 15 minutes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Something to keep in mind about the relationship between pH and TA...

TA is a buffer for pH - a fine-tuning if you will. pH is like a channel selector that displays the desired channel. TA is a fine-tuning dial that brings the selected channel into sharper focus. The "right" TA for your pool is that level where your pH stays relatively stable.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.