PH level before the SLAM

Well I started my SLAM even without my TF100...is that a problem? Been using best guess/worst case scenario for pool math. I've added about 16 gallons of the 12.5% liquid chlorine since last night at 11. Started with 6 then added 4 more this morning then trickling in 2 every 2-3 hours. Should have full reading to post tomorrow. But I did test chlorine 3 times with the basic kit and my levels were way above the 5 range before adding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had to do it, didn't ya! I take patience is not your strong suit :p

Well, as a long time TFP'er once said, "you can a do SLAM without a test kit but it's a lot like driving a car without a map...you'll get somewhere eventually just with a lot more bumps in the road!"

This is very very crude but you could dilute your water sample 2:1 with water and see if the results becomes measurable. Just try 2:1 and multiply result by 3. Or if that doesn't work, try 4:1 and multiply by 5. Just try to find a dilution that works. The accuracy/tolerance will be way off but you'll get a ball park value.

Oh, and use distilled water if you have it or bottled water or boil some tap water if your water is chlorinated municipal water.

Mine patience is fine but wifey is anxious with our daughter getting out of school [emoji5]️. Sounds like a lot of work but I'll just wait til tomorrow afternoon

Ah yes, the kid factor. Here in Tucson, school ends the 2nd week of May (we start in mid August). I would lose my mind if I had to go the summer without a pool. I've got three boys with LOTS of energy; the pool is one of the few ways to take them down a notch or two.

The pool will be fine and it will be sparkly clear before you know it!!

TTYL

I understand beens...i tested my levels this morning and it was still above 5p.pm. Didn't add anymore I'll wait for my test to arrive. But in a positive note.

Yesterday morning after starting
09eb8187198bd6022e81674e75d7750d.jpg

This morning
149c7de0b7044f80bedaa4f7c0056781.jpg

I wish I found this site before buying the "start up kit"

Dramatic, isn't it?

You're well on your way. Believe us when we say it's going to look incredible. When you're done, you're going to be the envy of the neighborhood. You'll be flipping coins into the water and calling heads/tails in no time.

Don't forget to keep an eye on the filter pressure too. It's going to go up. Back washing the filter helps a lot to get rid of dead algae that consumed FC through oxidation.

Yup been keeping an eye on it. My father actually works at the post office my mail is delivered from so I just called him to get with my carrier to set my package aside and I'll just get it from him while he is on his route so I'll have it sooner. 11 rather than 3.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup been keeping an eye on it. My father actually works at the post office my mail is delivered from so I just called him to get with my carrier to set my package aside and I'll just get it from him while he is on his route so I'll have it sooner. 11 rather than 3.

Nice to have friends in high places ;)

You'll be an expert in no time. And the pictures you post here are what give others and those that lurk on this site the confidence they need to ditch the pool store advice and go DIY.

Yeah that's why I've been making sure to post pictures if what I'm seeing .

Yesterday morning was kind of funny I was talking to my new neighbor and about the pool woes and switching from pool store chemicals to do it yourself and he asked me about this website that's been helping me and I said what do you plan on getting a pool soon...oh I already bought one (awkward moment haha) and he's buying it from the same place that I got my simple salt system from. kind of made him nervous but I said since you already have the new system I go ahead and use it this year but next year definitely switch to doing it yourself. "Get a good test kit" ha

The main benefit of the SpeedStir is that it free's up your hands a bit so you can more easily do the FC/CC testing. Those tests require a bit of speed when doing them as you want to add drops at a rate of about 1 drop per second and then do the CC test quickly thereafter. Since the two tests use the same water sample, you can't let the tube of water sit for long periods of time or else the pink color starts to come back. The SpeedStir just makes the whole process easier.

The SampleSizer is really not necessary at all. I tend to be really lousy at pouring off liquid from a test tube to get the meniscus exactly at the right mark. So the SampleSizer just makes my test volumes more repeatable. It really is not necessary at all but I love it because my wife and kids think I'm so cool when I make the water turn colors....ok, my wife thinks I'm a dork and my kids are still young enough to think that dad is cool. They are all just smart enough to know that if you make fun of the guy that cares for your pool water, eventually he might get fed up and you'll find yourself maintaining the pool. So they stroke my ego more for their own benefit ;)

Oh, and if you want to have a fun time with the kids, let them watch you do one of the color changing tests like the TA test (green-to-red) and then, when the transition happens, declare loudly that someone pee'd in the pool! Everyone watching will freak out and start blaming each other....it's hilarious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.