Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sub Pannel Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sub Pannel Question

OB inground pool, no spa or water features, just a pool with 2 LED lights, Salt, cartridge filter, etc..... I'll be doing the electrical myself, and I'm looking for input on sub panels. Anyone have one that you would recommend?
    Owner Builder 15x32 sport pool. In process of building. Completing digging, plumbing, electrical, tile & equipment install myself, contracting out remaining.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sub Pannel Question

Well ... not exactly sure what kind of information you are looking for.
    Get one with enough slots to have all the breakers you need?
    I am not aware of any special requirements ... other than needing to float the neutral.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did my own as well and went with the easy touch 4 as its a computer system for the each's and a 150amp panel. I ran it 100 ft out from the house main panel. Kind of expensive if you buy only it, but I got a deal by purchasing pump/ filter and Easytouch from same company- it also increased the warranty to 3 years.

Pictures in this post: Pentair Intellichlor IC40 no Power!!
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

The Easy Touch 4 is about $600. Now the question,,,,, is it worth the money, or do I just go with a basic " non auto" sub pannel. Anyone use any other brands?
    Owner Builder 15x32 sport pool. In process of building. Completing digging, plumbing, electrical, tile & equipment install myself, contracting out remaining.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think mine is SquareD. Run a subpanel with more amp capacity than you think you need, doesn't cost near as much to upsize now as it does to buy it again.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Just remember not all electrical equipment is built equal and you usually get what you pay for.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I just installed a panel to my new pool pad.
    Picked up an outdoor panel (Eaton 125 amp), $25
    Ran 6guage wires ($260) off a double pole 60 amp ($15) breaker in house main panel
    One stipulation, if you want to be 'to code' you need to run the individual THHN wires and the ground needs to be insulated (all wires in conduit). Alternatively you can get the UF 'romex' type cable that is rated for outdoors, but the ground isn't insulated so you won't be 'to code'. The UF romex does not require conduit, but still should be 24" minimum deep.

Rented a trencher for $75 and buried it the 24".

Made the connections & wired a 15amp GFCI outlet and a Intermatic T104 timer for my pump.
    Yeah, its old fashioned compared to the new fancy touch screen automation, but its ok for me.

Panel: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Cut...25RP/100164090

* Picture of my pool pad with place to hang panel that is semi weather proof, stole idea from another TFP member (Thanks CowboyCasey). This is prior to the sub panel install, I will try and get a recent pic.
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That is a nice looking pad looks like you used 2x12's, nice..

I can say it works really good at keeping water off the equipment, we have had 7 inches of rain in the last week and most of the stand stayed dry..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dw9000 View Post
    I just installed a panel to my new pool pad.
    Picked up an outdoor panel (Eaton 125 amp), $25
    Ran 6guage wires ($260) off a double pole 60 amp ($15) breaker in house main panel
    One stipulation, if you want to be 'to code' you need to run the individual THHN wires and the ground needs to be insulated (all wires in conduit). Alternatively you can get the UF 'romex' type cable that is rated for outdoors, but the ground isn't insulated so you won't be 'to code'. The UF romex does not require conduit, but still should be 24" minimum deep.
    DW, I am going to "Pick Nits" here a little. You should have used THWN wire as it is rated for wet applications as THHN is not. Any wire outside of a structure is considered a wet location even inside conduit. However, Most THHN is also dual rated as THWN too. It will be marked as such if it is.

THWN stands for "Thermoplastic Heat and Water-resistant Nylon-coated

THHN stands for "Thermoplastic High Heat-resistant Nylon-coated

Good choice on the panel. However, over 6 breakers in the box and you need to have a disconnect breaker in the box as well (6 throw rule)
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    DW, I am going to "Pick Nits" here a little. You should have used THWN wire as it is rated for wet applications as THHN is not. Any wire outside of a structure is considered a wet location even inside conduit. However, Most THHN is also dual rated as THWN too. It will be marked as such if it is.

THWN stands for "Thermoplastic Heat and Water-resistant Nylon-coated

THHN stands for "Thermoplastic High Heat-resistant Nylon-coated

Good choice on the panel. However, over 6 breakers in the box and you need to have a disconnect breaker in the box as well (6 throw rule)
    hmmm, what is this disconnect breaker, 6 throw rule? does that look like a lever on the outside to disconnect power to the box? is it better to have a lever type disconnect or just a breaker? looking for safety if something was to happen...

Thanks for teaching
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

This whole thing gets to be a bit of a grey area depending on how the inspecting authority in that area views that particular sub-panel. Where I am, that panel will be considered a separate structure and will have to follow that rule. Some jurisdictions don't consider a sub panel at a pool as a separate structure and may not enforce the 6 throw rule.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post

However, over 6 breakers in the box and you need to have a disconnect breaker in the box as well (6 throw rule)
    That code section refers to disconnect for the SERVICE, not a panel. In other words, to disconnect the entire service, there cant be more than 6 throws of a breaker. So your main panel has to have a single disconnect. The subanel could have 40 breakers, but there's only one disconnect, and thats the ONE breaker in the main that feeds the subpanel.
    Of course you can get an inspector thats stupid and makes you have a main throw in a subpanel. If it is their requirement they have be able to show you where it is at in their rules. Not just because that's "not allowed in my town."

As far as THHN vs THWN wire. Most of the wire sold on roles that you buy by the foot at the big box stores are rated for both. Just make sure and check when you buy it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have this:

T30000R Series

It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the automatic one, but is simple enough, and has two timers so I can run the pump on one, and the other I can set my lights to, which is useful for those nights when you forget to turn them off.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    That code section refers to disconnect for the SERVICE, not a panel. In other words, to disconnect the entire service, there cant be more than 6 throws of a breaker. So your main panel has to have a single disconnect. The subanel could have 40 breakers, but there's only one disconnect, and thats the ONE breaker in the main that feeds the subpanel.
    Of course you can get an inspector thats stupid and makes you have a main throw in a subpanel. If it is their requirement they have be able to show you where it is at in their rules. Not just because that's "not allowed in my town."

As far as THHN vs THWN wire. Most of the wire sold on roles that you buy by the foot at the big box stores are rated for both. Just make sure and check when you buy it.

True. The whole thing comes down as to how the AHJ in that area views that particular "sub panel". It can be viewed as either a feeder or a service. If it is considered a service (separate structure) then the rule will apply.

As BK mentions, the authority in the area may have rules over and above what the code cycle they have adopted has, but they need to have it in writing.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Thanks, I think I am going to use a disconnect like this, I have 1 on my hot tub and it works great... it is rated at 60 Amps and that is all I am running out to the pool..

Thanks for the help