Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a Salt Cell know when it needs replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does a Salt Cell know when it needs replacement?

I'm noticing the percentage setting I have my salt system set at is not producing chlorine in the amounts I want. The setting I used in previous years was great. I have increased the output and can't seem to get beyond 2 ppm. I added liquid last weekend because of cloudy water and don't know if the 2ppm could still be as a result of that. There are no lights flashing on the unit. I'm wondering if the cell might be finished. Does the unit know when it's not producing chlorine, or at a very low amount?
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Does a Salt Cell know when it needs replacement?

Are you able to clean the cell? If you already cleaned it then it may be reaching the end of its life.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I cleaned it at opening about three weeks ago. It wasn't particularly dirty then but I did anyway.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Low FC levels are usually chemistry problems, but can also be the cell nearing the end of it's lifetime.

What brand/model of SWG do you have? It would be good if you put information like that in your signature.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just did a test. Here are the results:
    CL-3.0, CC-0
    PH-7.6
    TA-120
    CH-380
    CYA-80

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Seems like you will need to replace the cell.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    Seems like you will need to replace the cell.
    I've turned on super chlorinate to see if produces anything. How long should it take to notice a difference if there is going to be one?

8. Back To Top    #8

You mentioned cloudy water.....could be you have something eating up you CL. An OCLT should tell you if something is eating up CL or if your cell isn't producing much CL.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

9. Back To Top    #9

I think the cloudy water was as a result of low chlorine. I shocked it with liquid and it was clear the next day. It's been clear since and my other numbers have remained good. What is an OCLT? I'm guessing an overnight CL test?

If I need a cell, does anyone have any experience with the generic cells? I like the clear tubing idea as it's supposed to let you look for build up without removal.

10. Back To Top    #10

OCLT = Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt

Low chlorine usually results in stuff starting to grow in the water. A clear pool doesn't mean nothing's growing. The OCLT will tell you if something you can't see is eating up your CL.

If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, then you need to do a SLAM

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

I do like the idea of the clear cell on the generics, but I've read mixed reviews about them, so I stick with the OEM version.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

11. Back To Top    #11

the OCLT is the thing to do.
    If you loose > 1ppm FC, then you need to slam to pool.
    Just because the water is clear, does not in the least mean the pool is free of algae. If the water was cloudy yesterday and you didnt do a proper SLAM, I almost guarantee the problem is algae eating up the FC.

Once you have algae, the SWG will rarely be able to stave it off.

You never see algae before its way too late and seemingly all of a sudden the water goes green.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

I'll do the test tonight for sure.  Thanks everyone.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jonmar View Post
    Just did a test. Here are the results:
    CL-3.0, CC-0
    PH-7.6
    TA-120
    CH-380
    CYA-80
    FC of 3.0 ppm is a little low for CYA of 80 ppm. You should be closer to 6 ppm. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

If you have a Leslie's nearby, I believe they do test the salt cells. However, I don't know have any experience with their testing or the methods they use. I think I would follow the advice to do the OCLT first and see what your results are.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

15. Back To Top    #15

I've switched off the salt system and CL is now 5.5. So I know the cell can produce some CL. I'll check it in the morning and see what's what.

16. Back To Top    #16

The best test for an AquaRite cell is to check the salt level reported by the box against a reliable test kit for salt. I would recommend the Taylor k-1766 kit. If the salt is within 400 ppm, then the cell is good. If the box is between 400 and 800 ppm low, the cell is going bad. Over 800 ppm low, it's time to consider replacing the cell.

Can you report all of the diagnostic readings?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The best test for an AquaRite cell is to check the salt level reported by the box against a reliable test kit for salt. I would recommend the Taylor k-1766 kit. If the salt is within 400 ppm, then the cell is good. If the box is between 400 and 800 ppm low, the cell is going bad. Over 800 ppm low, it's time to consider replacing the cell.

Can you report all of the diagnostic readings?
    Do you mean what is lit up on the panel or what is going on with each press of the button?
    What if the salt reading on the box is too high?

18. Back To Top    #18

Each press of the button. I don't think that I have ever seen one read salt as too high. If it's within 400 ppm, it's good. If it's more than 400 ppm off, then there's likely to be a problem.

19. Back To Top    #19

Just did a test. FC is 3.0 so I lost 2.5 overnight. Going to the pool store for some liquid. Any idea how much I need for about 40 000 gallons and CYA at 80?

20. Back To Top    #20
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast