Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Saltwater slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Saltwater slam

While slamming the pool is it ok to add salt? Salt lever is only around 1400. Should I add it now? Have only slammed for 1 day or should I wait until other levels are right and algae is gone?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Saltwater slam

Don't bother with the salt, we don't recommend running a SWCG during the SLAM so messing with the salt level is just a distraction to killing algae.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. I will hold off. So I should also just set my swg to off?
    13,000 in ground saltwater, Hayward pro series sand filter, Hayward super pump, aqua collection turbo cell.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yep, shut down your SWG. While an SWG can help to maintain FC levels during a SLAM, it is much more beneficial to get accurate measurements of chlorine loss to gauge your progress. Besides, it will save some wear and tear on the cell since you are adding liquid chlorine anyway.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits