Newbie! needing help with chemistry. confused

Cya > 100

Well, only got Like maybe 5-6 drops in before my little black dot disappeared. Looks like I will be draining some water. Any suggestions\pointers are greatly appreciated! Got the sump pump draining as we speak. I am going to love my next water bill.

Re: Cya > 100

You want the water to be at least 70 degrees or it won't read correctly. I set my sample water in the sun and let it warm up, then I put it int the test bottle and add the reagent. I have a kitchen thermometer I uses to check the temp of the sample

You either have a possible record level of CYA or something is not right with the test.
And looking at your first few posts, given that you had 10-12 tablets in the pool at all times ... I am guessing the former.

Time to start replacing water. Leave at least a foot in the shallow end, refill, mix and retest. Although honestly, I think I would drain, refill, then drain and refill again before bothering with the test.

And you should order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills now so you do not run out.

I wish I just didnt do the test right. Lol. I put pool water in the squeeze bottle until it got to.the lower mark. Then, I added the 0013 reagant until it was to the upper mark. Shook for 30 secs. Then put solution in the tube until I couldnt see black dot. Correct? What is the fas dpd for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you did the test correctly. There should be a little settling time between when you stop shaking and you start to pour it in the tube (20 seconds or so).

Can you make the suction only come from the floor of the pool? It is a waste and NOT a backwash setting right?
If the answer to both is yes, then it is fine to drain with the pump. Just watch the pump as the water gets pretty low to make sure it does not start sucking in air.

I do know I have a waste and a backwash on my pump "dial" on top. I know the answer to that question but not the first one. I also know my skimmers have two holes. One can be covered by pivoting a plastic piece over it. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.