Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Southlake, TX Pool: Deck Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Southlake, TX Pool: Deck Questions

I just signed a contract for my first pool. I could use some advice on my decking. I am going to have three different concrete finishes. I have existing slab and then we had additional concrete poured to make our patio larger. Now I'm going to add the steps and pool decking in salted concrete. I'm thinking about tearing out the swept concrete and repouring it to be salted concrete. Thoughts or ideas?

PoolDraw1.jpg
    Southlake, TX
    17,835 gallon outdoor in-ground gunite pool, pebblesheen, 16'x32' with a short tanning ledge, with 6’x6’spa raised 12”, 400,000 btu gas Jandy heater, Polaris 2.0hp blower, Jandy VS 2.0hp pump, Jandy 460sf filter cartridge, 781 sqft pool deck, leuders saw cut masonry wall and coping

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Southlake, TX Pool: Deck Questions

Nice to meet you, Aimee! I'm Suz. I'm building my first pool and last pool. Well, the pool builder is building it for me. Thanks for sharing your plans, and keep the pictures coming!!! My eyes have been around a while, so it's a little hard for me to see the details of your plans. I'm on my pc, so I'm afraid it's my eyes.

It looks like you've got the whole rectangular-shaped pool thing going on, and I always enjoy the rectangular pools. Fits well with my sequential-thinking brain. What size will your tanning ledge be?

As far as decking materials go, I'm not very familiar with the different concrete deck materials. Personally, I like variety of levels, surfaces, textures, and colors. But I've been told that I don't manage that well. It usually turns out too busy-looking, yet others seem to carry it off beautifully! The bottom line is this: My friends ask my opinion on design/décor options just so they know to do the opposite!!! That's why I don't dare give you any of my ideas!!

But there are plenty of people on this forum with technical experience and great design taste who can share their input and experience! Welcome and enjoy! Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP Aimee!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Aimee, Have you thought about stamped concrete?
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

My opinion is it would look better to have it all match. The salted concrete looks great.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm in the planning processes as well and have the same dilemma. I would like to know what others have done as well. I've been researching Acrylic and acid stains. What other options are there without tearing out the old?

7. Back To Top    #7

We are very happy with our salted concrete deck. But, I'm not necessarily in the camp that says everything needs to match. A little variety is good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice to meet you too Suz! Yes, I'm building a rectangular-shaped pool. I decided just to do the salted concrete decking because I'm overspending in other areas
    Southlake, TX
    17,835 gallon outdoor in-ground gunite pool, pebblesheen, 16'x32' with a short tanning ledge, with 6’x6’spa raised 12”, 400,000 btu gas Jandy heater, Polaris 2.0hp blower, Jandy VS 2.0hp pump, Jandy 460sf filter cartridge, 781 sqft pool deck, leuders saw cut masonry wall and coping

9. Back To Top    #9

We were worried about the salted concrete application. We really didnt like the sample our concrete guy gave us, it looked nothing like the salted concrete finish we have seen. We ended up going with the Travertine stamp, it looks just like the salt finish.