Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Full week of slamming and not much progress Pics included.

1. Back To Top    #1

Full week of slamming and not much progress Pics included.

I saw great results last weekend starting my slam as you will see in the pictures below. However, throughout the week I started to get more of a grey green that is shown in the last picture (taken this morning). CYA is at 60 currently. Keeping the FC levels between 26 and 28 the best I can. Just ran out of the reagent that came with my Taylor kit so need to reorder some. This is my 3rd season with the pool and it didn't seem to take this long last year. Just wondering if I am overlooking something or if I need to be patient. I see that word used quite frequently around here ha. Thanks for any advice.dark_green.jpglight_green.jpgstale_green.jpg
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Full week of slamming and not much progress Pics included.

SLAM take patience. It is looking better though.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! Nice first post!

Looks like good progress to me! Keep slamming. I won't use the word.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I see some progress there. Like most things in life, the first 90% of the work takes only 10% of the time. The last 10% takes 90% of the time.

Rerread the SLAM article and make sure you haven't missed something. And if the bleach appetite has noticeably dropped, you might be ready to consider some finer filtration by adding some DE or cellulose fiber to the sand filter as mentioned in that article. A caution: only do that when you're going to be around to monitor the pressure gauge. The filter can load up really fast when you first start that. It would be the equivalent of putting a window screen over a barbecue grate. You'll catch a whole lot more stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all of your responses. Richard, I have not added DE to the sand filter before so I might need to do some research on that process. I will give this a few more days before venturing down that road. Thanks again, I'll post updates if things don't clear up.

-Also, this is a great site! I've been a lurker for 2 summers so far. It has been super helpful!
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a place to start your DE in a sand filter research.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Hang in there. My SLAM took over two weeks this year.
    Sand filter
    Salt Generator
    25000 gallon IG Vinyl

8. Back To Top    #8

The SLAM is not a miracle cure. Its a process that will cure the pool of algae completely.
    that one is pretty ugly and would not clear up in a week in any case.

It didnt get that way overnight, or even in a week. Its gonna take some time to clear it up. Hang in there man, and you will get it! the M in SLAM means Maintain the Shock FC level. Its critical to the timeline to keep the FC up!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

It takes time for the filter to clean the water, mine is still a little cloudy, remember how long it took to get this way, it will take some time to clear.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Here is a place to start your DE in a sand filter research.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter
    Does any of the DE come back into the pool or does it stay in the sand filter?
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have added the DE to the filter. I also checked ph and it has drifted up past 8.0, at least thats the highest the Taylor test kit will read. I have muriatic acid on hand, should I try to bring it back down? I know there is mention of the ph drift in the slam article so I don't want to waste the acid if I don't need to use it.
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by oreolude View Post
    I have added the DE to the filter. I also checked ph and it has drifted up past 8.0, at least thats the highest the Taylor test kit will read. I have muriatic acid on hand, should I try to bring it back down? I know there is mention of the ph drift in the slam article so I don't want to waste the acid if I don't need to use it.
    If FC is above 10, your pH will be reading falsely high. Pictures that prove it. DO NOT try to lower it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

This is the update from today. 2 Full weeks now. Not much has changed this week. I had to take a sample to the local place this weekend since I'm still waiting on replacement reagents. Pool store said cya was at 0. I'm a little suspect on that test as it was at 60 earlier this week. I didn't think that could drop so far so fast. I have been backwashing once a day, is that too often? Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.

Attachment 35927
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

14. Back To Top    #14

You should only backwash the filter when the pressure rises 25% from clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by oreolude View Post
    This is the update from today. 2 Full weeks now. Not much has changed this week. I had to take a sample to the local place this weekend since I'm still waiting on replacement reagents. Pool store said cya was at 0. I'm a little suspect on that test as it was at 60 earlier this week. I didn't think that could drop so far so fast. I have been backwashing once a day, is that too often? Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.

Attachment 35927
    I can't see the picture, and I would not trust that store if you already got 60 yourself. If you aren't able to tell what your numbers are being out of reagent, how do you know you've been keeping proper FC levels?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I can't see the picture, and I would not trust that store if you already got 60 yourself. If you aren't able to tell what your numbers are being out of reagent, how do you know you've been keeping proper FC levels?
    I ran out towards the end of the week that's why I had to go into the store Saturday. I'm hoping everything will be in tomorrow. It is still about the same color as it was earlier in the week. Really hoping this week improves.
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

17. Back To Top    #17

Have you raked all the debris off the bottom of the pool?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

That's ok, you're probably just lacking FC level. Once you get refills, you'll know, and we'll be here to help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

19. Back To Top    #19

I've learned here that backwashing too often can slow things down because a *slightly dirty* sand filter apparently works better than one backwashed to death.

A smidgeon of DE can assist the sand filter. I bought a 10 pound box for $14 last year at Ace Hardware
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

20. Back To Top    #20

Pool is starting to look better. Got all my test agents. I am continuing to rake everyday and monitor levels. Had a gasket failure on the multi valve and that has been serviced. Been a rough start to the season but it'll work out. I'll post back at the end of the week with hopefully a good update!
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast