New Owner w/Test Results

Tested this morning:

pH - 7.8
FC - 7.5
CC - .5

Did I raise my FC too high? I tested yesterday evening and it was at 2.5. I added a gallon of bleach and it should have raised it to 6 but this morning it was at 7.5. I don't think I'm off that much on size of pool (it is a 19'x37' free form that goes from 3.5' to 7') What does a consistent CC of .5 mean? Should I be concerned?

Test results from this morning:

FC - 3.5
CC - .5
pH - 7.8

Lost about 3.5 FC yesterday. I added 6lbs of CYA the other day so I am assuming it is at 30 since I was at 0. The target FC for 30 is 4. Should I add some bleach in today to bring it from 3.5 to 4 or should I go a little higher since it looks like I'm losing about 3-4ppm of FC per day?

Yes, those are all good factors to use when determining how much chlorine to add to your pool. Assuming CYA is 30 for now is correct. Good work. Just to review the numbers, min is 2 target is 4 and shock is 12. Usage is 4ppm recently. The MAIN GOAL here is for your pool to never have FC drop below 2ppm. Based on that I would add chlorine to 6ppm. Also, note that it is safe to swim as long as CL is below shock level and your pool is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added 1 gallon (121 oz. to be exact) of bleach, waited about 45 minutes and tested. FC is now at 7.5 so it increased 4ppm. I'm thinking I have the wrong size for my pool if it went up that much from one gallon. I think my pool is closer to 21k gallons and not 25k even though a 19'x37' freeform going from 3.5' to 7' deep in poolmath says it is about 25k gallons. Should I be adjusting the pool size closer to 21k based on what I'm finding by adding a gallon of bleach?

I added 1 gallon (121 oz. to be exact) of bleach, waited about 45 minutes and tested. FC is now at 7.5 so it increased 4ppm. I'm thinking I have the wrong size for my pool if it went up that much from one gallon. I think my pool is closer to 21k gallons and not 25k even though a 19'x37' freeform going from 3.5' to 7' deep in poolmath says it is about 25k gallons. Should I be adjusting the pool size closer to 21k based on what I'm finding by adding a gallon of bleach?
the more you add chemicals and watch the result will allow you to get fairly close to the actual volume.

Tested this morning:

FC - 3.5
CC - .5
pH - 7.8

I added a gallon of bleach yesterday and about 1/8 gallon of acid. It seems that wasn't enough acid as it didn't bring down the pH so will add about 1/4 gallon to see if I can get it down to 7.5. I'm also losing about 4ppm of FC per day. With a target of 5 but losing 4ppm per day, wouldn't that take me too low with just 1ppm at the end of the day? Should I be shooting for keeping it at least 6ppm? Should I also be adding more CYA to help to keep from losing so much FC per day? Right now, my CYA should be about 30-35 based on the 6lbs I added a couple of days ago. I'm not going to add any more for at least a few more days until I can get an accurate CYA test but once that is done, should I be raising the CYA a little more to keep from losing so much FC?

Tested this morning at 11am and pH was 8.2 so added about 1/2 gallon of acid. Just tested at 7pm:

pH - 7.3
FC - 4
CC - .5
TA - 80
CH - 175
CYA - 20 (It was cloudy at 30 and actually disappeared somewhere between 30 and 20 so not sure what reading that actually means)

Should I be worried about the low pH and the low CH? Since it is a new plaster pool, I'm thinking the pH is going to continue to rise for a while which is why I'm having to add some acid every few days so thinking don't need to do anything to raise the pH, just let it raise on its own.

I'm also going to add about 2 lbs of CYA to get it up closer to 40.

What about the CH? Should I be concerned since it seems to be below the recommended range?

PH above 7.2 is OK. Would not hurt to bump it up to 7.5. I think since your pool is new that it would be good to let the CH wait a bit. When did you fill? Wait at least a month to adjust it.

Test from this morning:

pH - 7.5
FC - 3.5
CC - 0

Added 1/2 gallon of bleach to get FC up to 6.

For the CYA test, if the dot disappears in between 20 and 30, does that mean it is 25 or is the test not that precise? Trying to figure out what I should put in the calc as the current to figure out how much to add to get to a target of 40.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.