Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How full is a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How full is a pool?

Yeah, well..... On our opening, new liner, and first fill, we filled to a point just below the opening in the skimmer. All seemed pretty OK, until we got about 1.5 inches of rain, then the skimmer quit skimming and I was a little unsure what to do. I know the top of the skimmer is a slip fit and will leak if overfilled, so I knew I needed to back off. I drained about an inch or so of water to bring the level back to just under the top of the skimmer. So, I believe I'm now losing that nasty looking pollen slick on top of the water.

But, the definitive answer still eludes me. How full should a pool be?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How full is a pool?

Usually about halfway up the skimmer. This keeps the pump from sucking air and not too full to keep things moving toward the opening.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

3. Back To Top    #3

It is worse to be under filled than overfilled....I keep mine at the 3/4 point of the skimmer opening.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

So there are usually 4 screws in the side of the skimmer. I keep mine just above the 2nd screw. When it get lower, the high setting on my pump creates a nice whirlpool in the skimmer and sucks a little air. When it get higher, the low setting just takes the bottom of the water and i still have debris on top.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, folks..... I think I'm still a little too high, but the pollen sheen is disappearing, so I must be marginal.

I've got a real learning curve..... pumping OUT water, rather than running more water in (to the tune of 17,000 gals/month).

6. Back To Top    #6

As long as water entering the skimmer has head space to allow debris floating on the surface to enter you should be good.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon