Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drain Plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drain Plumbing

Should I be worried that my PB ran the main drain suction pipe to the skimmer, then from the skimmer to the pump? Is there a significant advantage to running dedicated pipes for both the skimmer and main drains directly to the pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main Drain Plumbing

That is how both of my pools have been. But, it is certainly better to have them run independently to the pump. You have more control and can isolate the suction to the floor for draining if desired.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm certainly no expert, but for the few extra $ to run two lines to the pump and get the versatility to control the draw of water from either/combination of the bottom of the pool or from the skimmer, I'd go with it. But again, i'm no expert and certainly have enough of my own pool problems that I probably really shouldn't be commenting!!!
    18k IG vinyl pool, Jandy CV460 Cartridge filter, Hayward MaxFlo Variable Speed 1.5hp pump (SP2300VSP), Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator with 25K Gal Cell, Teledyne Laars Series One heater, Blood, sweat and tears manual cleaner (trying to decide what to get to replace me), no automation.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is convenient to be able to have all main drain for sweeping debris to the filter and all skimmer for extra skimming when needed.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

So is it just a matter of convenience? Wouldn't the float valve in the skimmer give me the same granular control as a normal valve at the pump? I saw this pool plumbing video and it scared me, basically saying that my pool bottom can rot because there wouldn't be enough suction at the drains and that my pool chemistry will be harder to manage. I'd hate to have the plumbers redo this but if what the video is saying is true, I will. However, if it's just a matter of convenience, I'll leave it as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q84DsgnbfHI&t=2m52s

6. Back To Top    #6

No, it is not a show stopper. The pool cleaner/robot will alleviate a lot of that. So will brushing.

Also, welcome to TFP. Please update our signature as described here, What we need to know to answer your questions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

You can use the float to control the flow from the skimmer but I would not recommend reducing the flow from the skimmer. If anything you are better off reducing the flow from the main drain so the skimmer works better. Main drains are optional in pools and many pools are now being built without them so they are really unnecessary for proper pool maintenance and tend to steal flow from the skimmers which I think are much more important. Despite what the video says, there is no chemical settling if you actually run the pump when you add chemicals even without a MD.

However, as was noted several times, the proper way to plumb a skimmer is with an equalizer line to a wall port and have the main drain on a separate line (or no main drain at all). About the only advantage of this setup is that it allows easier draining below the skimmer line because you can isolate the main drain.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I decided to stick with shared skimmer/drain plumbing. I do have a dedicated cleaner suction line so whatever vacuum I decide to purchase will be roaming around most of the time.