Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Thank you for posting a picture of your Belgard pavers! They are just in my plans; I don't have a contract on them yet. How do you like them? Pros and cons? Would you do them again?

Is your coping pavers, also? What style and color pavers are these in the photo?

Again, I really appreciate you letting me see a picture! Take care. Suzy

Thanks! I love the steps, too.

I know, I'm behind on pictures. The main reason is because there hasn't been anything going on. That's all my fault. It took so long for me to pick out the tile and stone. It may be the first time a PB has had to wait on the owner!!

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for checking in! Suz.

Hi Suz, We had our pool installed in 2007. pavers are Bergerac and mega-bergerac. The colors are grey and tan, with 75% grey. They are laid on concrete with polymeric sand in between them except for the coping which are mortared in gaps filled at the pool edge. I'll get better pics this afternoon.

Pros: looks, saltwater doesn't seem bother them, the texture makes them non-slip.

Cons: they have to be re-sealed, especially if you like the "wet" look (I haven't done it yet so you can see how it has weathered), grass and stuff will grow through the polymeric sand. Our sand needs to be replaced, or at least added to. It's just swept into the cracks and then misted/sprayed to set it, not hard to do, just hand and knees work. Full on summer with the sun beating down on them they are really really warm. It can make for some quick stepping.

I would use them again, though they aren't maintenance free, there's not a ton of work needed. We didn't have do any work for the most part for eight years.

Hey Ernie, I just saw your note about the earlier photo. OMG!!! Your pool and landscaping are gorgeous!!! Thank you for directing me to it. It does look like the colors have changed over the years. Is it more drastic looking because the pavers were wet in the earlier photo and dry in the more recent? I would have thought they were different pavers. I think I like the more recent look of the pavers, but both are beautiful. Your photo is the first I've seen from a real homeowner instead of the Belgard catalog photos. I found it difficult to get a real feel for how they look. Thank you! Now I know I love them.

Last summer, I swam at our friends' pool 4-5 times a week for my physical therapy. They have the Belgard pavers, so I was pretty sure I liked them. But he has a dark red-brown-gray mix (mostly red), which won't work with my house brick. So I've been a little unsure about color. Your paver color is what I think I would like. And you've reassured me about the pros and cons. Each one you named is what I noticed from being over there so much last summer. I love the pros and can live with the cons. They do get warm (well, HOT here in Texas), but I always wear flip flops or something anyway. My adult son likes to go barefoot, so I considered the Travertine for his sake. But we have a lot of trouble with mildew at our house, and I felt like the travertine might have issues (even though they claim they are mildew resistant). Our flagstone was a mess with mildew, especially under our tiny bit of patio cover. Our friend's pavers have the same sun exposure as us with even more patio cover, and he's had no trouble with mildew on his pavers over the last 4-5 years. He's never done a thing to them. Of course to be honest, the cost of travertine was really out of my budget. But if I weren't concerned about mildew with them, I might have splurged for my son's sake. But he's a big boy and can just 'hot foot' it to the water. We don't have room for much decking anyways.

Back to your pool and landscaping.... I love the retaining walls and all the terracing or various levels of the beds! That is exactly what I wish our backyard could look like. But..... we're here in flat, flat Houston, so we won't be able to have any of that. I did ask the landscape designer to try to give it that effect, but our backyard is small with mostly pool. She has very little space left to create much for landscaping. Your place is beautiful. Do you own the area beyond the fence? That is gorgeous, too. I'm envious of anyone with extra land.

It's ironic..... Here in Texas, I've been raised to believe that the north and northeast are so densely populated, that there are no more open spaces left. And yet, so many of the pictures of northerners' or north easterners' pools show all these open, large tracts of land. And we live in a neighborhood where the houses are almost on top of each other. So much for perceptions, right??? It's like my grandmother-in-law from Poland. She was worried about her grandson moving to Texas. She didn't know how we would ever keep our dirt floors clean and keep dirt off furniture, etc. She was also worried about us not having streets or trees... Bless her heart, I don't think we ever convinced her what it was really like here in Houston. She thought our pictures were taken elsewhere! I sure am rambling, but I love meeting people from other parts of the country since I haven't traveled much.

OK, I'll stop now. I know ya'll enjoy your private retreat. Thanks again for your help! Suz.

Its not the same liner just so you know. Originally they forgot to take the thickness of the pavers into the step dimensions, we had an eleven inch plus first step so they had to re-do the steps and by the time that happened the liner we originally picked was out of production.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really, Ernie????? Ya'll also have waterfront property in addition to your gorgeous pool and property??? Please tell me that was photo shopped in!!! My pool is a compromise, because I have always dreamed of living on a lake, river, or ocean beach. It took me 60 years to accept that that wasn't going to happen. So I stood my ground and called pool builders (against my family's blessing - now they can't wait). Your place is heavenly! I must not have seen the water in the background when on my cell last night.

You lucky dogs!! Thanks for sharing! Take care. Suz.

Well, a good bit of activity today. Two days ago, most of the equipment was delivered. Yesterday, three more boxes arrived. Today, the plumbing crew sneaked in and had been working for about 45-60 minutes before I woke up. They were outside my window, so either they were very quiet or I was dead to the world.

I didn't make it out back to look things over today, but I sent my 'in-house photographer' to take pictures. When he went, they were still pretty busy at the equipment pad. So we don't have good photos of that area yet. I was fidgety all day hoping these guys knew what they were doing. I was hoping our PB or his supervisor would come out to inspect. When neither did, I called the PB, and he said not to worry, all would be fine. Ok....... So hard to let go of that nasty Control Syndrome I have! I trust him, I trust him, I trust him, I trust him.....

Here are a few of the photos. I have no idea what the fun is in seeing these, but it seems these type of pictures are usually posted. So someone must enjoy seeing them. If you see any major problems, please call 1-800- LEAVE ME IN THE DARK.

Boring pipes #1.

Boring pipes #2.

Boring pipes #3.

Least boring picture of the pipes #4.

Thanks for checking in! Take care.... Suz.

Suz they might be boring BUT these pictures might save you some heartache and work later. Take a pic of all of those boring pipes and put them in a file with them labeled as to what each pipe is and what it does. That IF you get a crack or leak or any problem you can access your boring pipes picture with labels and say...............It is right here!

Kim

Thank you, Kim, for the reminder to label the pipes. My apologies for my lack of enthusiasm last evening. I was so exhausted last night (still am today). I had stewed all day about how the plumbing would turn out - I realize too well how important it is. I finally reached the point that I was too tired to care. Hence the snarky 1-800 phone message. I should probably edit that post, but maybe someone will read it when they feel the same way. It might let them know they aren't alone. I've lived through far worse in life - really surprised by the energy required and the emotional roller coaster of having a pool built. I guess it comes down to the expense and no-returns!

Back to the pipes.... I did get tons of pictures (only posted the highlights). I learned to do that when I had to make kitchen sink repairs - take pictures of each step of the breakdown to be able to work backwards. I read somewhere about a guy who painted his pool pipes with sun protection paint (Coppertone for paint?) and then labeled directly on the pipes like Ernie suggested. One problem.... I have no idea what each pipe is for or it's flow direction. How do I find out? Should I have had someone out there yesterday asking the plumbers as they worked? Of course, now that's too late.

Next, about tomorrow? Our PB said the electrician would be here tomorrow. Do ya'll have any tips for me regarding that build phase? Should I be taking pictures; asking the electrician questions; keeping my fingers out of the sockets tomorrow????

One more bit of news. The landscape designer is ready to show me her preliminary plans for the pool area and backyard - what's left of it. We meet tomorrow here at the house. I can't wait to see her ideas. What she did for our friend a few years ago was amazing. I hope I'm not expecting too much. There really is very little area left for much creativity.

Two more weeks until the glass tile is shipped.

Wendy: You're a good sport to be positive about the pipe pictures. I'm sure as I get over my "tired", I will have more enthusiasm. After all, the pipes signify more progress!!!! Take care everyone! Suz.

No Kidding - Hands down!!! But that's not my PB's fault! He's been twiddling his thumbs waiting on me! Then I had to get my heart set on a particular glass tile and am waiting 2 more weeks for it!!! UGH. If there's a hard way to do things, I'll find it! Thanks Patrick! Suz.

Suz I was just teasing you and letting you know that I DO understand what you are going through and thinking. I just wanted to let you know how important things like this are.

Your PB should be able to help you with the ways and what of the plumbing. What I would do is take pics. print them out and take them outside with you when you talk to your PB so you can write on them right then and there. I mean write on the pictures. I would not rely on writing on the pipe. I would worry about it rubbing off or something like that.

The same thing on the electric. Your PB should be able to tell you all about it and how to work it.

I thought the 1800 number thing was a hoot! Oh how many times I have thought that very thing! Now I know just want to say or type thanks to you! LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.