Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New build questions

I'm building a 32x18 free form inground pool with spa and waterfall and have so many questions. I'm trying to tackle a few at a time! I'm going with jandy equipment, Vs pump for sure and cartridge filter. My questions are:
    1. What size pvc lines are ideal?
    2. What pump size do I need?
    3. Can the main pump run the waterfall with an additional actuator or should I just get a separate single speed pump?
    Fort Worth, TX
    Inground gunite 32'x20' freeform salt pool Coping: Flagstone Finish: Undecided Decking: undecided Equipment: All Hayward. 3hp VS pump, largest cartrifge filter, 400k heater Cleaner: undecided robot for sure.
    Start Date: Whenever it stops raining!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build questions

1. What size pvc lines are ideal? 2"

2. What pump size do I need? I don't know.

3. Can the main pump run the waterfall with an additional actuator or should I just get a separate single speed pump? Yes, my 3hpVS pump runs solar panels, filter/skimmer and waterfall just fine at 1950rpm. Our waterfall is smallish, only one 2" pipe feeding it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

1. 2" is the minimum. Going larger on the suction lines, especially for the spa, can help.

2. This is pretty hard to estimate no know the details of the plumbing and pool/spa. Realize that there are 2 things that affect the pumps flow rate: 1 is the pump design, there are small pumps (Super Pump, Superflo) and larger pumps (Super II, Whisperflo). And the other is the motor power which is a combination of the HP and the service factor (SF).

3. This is possible, but it usually means you can not run the waterfall and the spa at the same time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That is true, we do not have an attached spa.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys...I'm just getting more overwhelmed... Lol
    Fort Worth, TX
    Inground gunite 32'x20' freeform salt pool Coping: Flagstone Finish: Undecided Decking: undecided Equipment: All Hayward. 3hp VS pump, largest cartrifge filter, 400k heater Cleaner: undecided robot for sure.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just keep reading and let it all soak in slowly, it all starts to make sense eventually.
    TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Luckily my brother is my pb and he's got a good handle on everything. I'm just an over-researcher type person and try to know everything
    Fort Worth, TX