Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine/Fishy Smell

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine/Fishy Smell

I've read a bunch of "smell" posts and some say to SLAM, others say its nothing. I've smelled this slight fish smell on and off for probably the last 2 months, pool is only maybe 4 months old. i just catch a whiff of it every so often. water has been super clear and levels are rockin'. Chlorine level is finally balanced w/ my SWC. I have the 2005 kit so i need to get the other test you guys always talk about, although, if you add 5 drops of no.3 to the chlorine test it sort of shows you the CC if the color changes, right? (it doesnt change at all).

So, should i slam? im thinking i haven't emptied my vac leaf canister in a bit and there could just be some gunk in there stinking (gonna take care of that later today).

FC - 4 (been steady for a couple weeks)
    CC - 0?
    ph 7.4 - 7.8 (rises maybe a little less than .1 every day - new plaster)
    TA 70
    CH 200
    CYA 56
    Water Temp is 63 degees
    any thoughts?
    jjg
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine/Fishy Smell

Pools never smell like fish ... you have a garbage can nearby

Order the FAS-DPD chlorine test and you will then have the equivalent to the K-2006 ... although you likely need CYA refills too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Pools never smell like fish ... you have a garbage can nearby

Order the FAS-DPD chlorine test and you will then have the equivalent to the K-2006 ... although you likely need CYA refills too.
    Yes, i just ran out of the CYA solution. gonna hit the pool store this weekend to get that and the FAS - also some muriatic acid. was thinking of throwing in some koi! LOL! the smell is definitely coming off the water - its just EVER so slight.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is very unlikely that you will find the FAS-DPD reagents locally unless you have a commercial warehouse. Most pool stores will not have it and honestly may have no idea what you are talking about.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool shop won't have the FAS DPD. Many times they say it's the same as theirs and it isn't.

Blizz beat me to it!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    Yes, i just ran out of the CYA solution. gonna hit the pool store this weekend to get that and the FAS - also some muriatic acid. was thinking of throwing in some koi! LOL! the smell is definitely coming off the water - its just EVER so slight.
    Not sure about the pool stores in the valley, but Leslies around Ventura/Camarillo doesn't carry the any of the FAS-DPD reagents (R-0870, R-0871)

Unfortunately I am a habitual procrastinator and failed to order the powder online prior to running out. When I actually needed some, I ran to the store, but they didn't carry any. They could order some and have it in the store in a couple of days but I could do that too... Anyway good luck.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Discount PoolMart is where i go - the place is WAY better than Leslie's - all the pool guys get there stuff there. No furniture, minimal toys, lots of gears, parts and chemicals - i love it. they have the regent but not the full test. i guess the regent is the same as the reg chlorine test? but they don't sell the powder.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you sure? If they do, they should have all the reagents then. If so, you'll only need a vial you can test 10ml of water in. Better double check to see which ones they are.

I would suggest ordering the kit. It also has the scoop you'll need for the powder. You can improvise that, but it's better not too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

Decaying leaves smell like nasty fish.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess the regent is the same as the reg chlorine test? but they don't sell the powder.
    sorry, wrong guess

The DPD test uses reagents r0001, r0002 and r0003

The FAS-DPD uses reagents r0870 & r0871

Go to TFTestkits.net for what you need
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

When I went to the pool store to ask for reagents, the girl was so confused and wanted to know what I was trying to test. She said I could use strips.
    Sand filter
    Salt Generator
    25000 gallon IG Vinyl

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Rere View Post
    When I went to the pool store to ask for reagents, the girl was so confused and wanted to know what I was trying to test. She said I could use strips.
    you can use strips - that leads to inaccurate testing which leads to cloudy/green pool which leads to chemicals sales
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

they sell the 0871 at the store but not the whole kit so i'll order it to get the spoon and the powder and all that. i think it very well might be the leaves rotting in my basket, its been a bit since i've emptied it. i'll give that a shot, its hard to believe that anything too extreme is going on. i really love testing that water - kind of fun and definitely was an easy habit to pick up. thanks for all your help everyone!

14. Back To Top    #14

they sell the 0871 at the store but not the whole kit so i'll order it to get the spoon and the powder and all that. i think it very well might be the leaves rotting in my basket, its been a bit since i've emptied it. i'll give that a shot, its hard to believe that anything too extreme is going on. i really love testing that water - kind of fun and definitely was an easy habit to pick up. thanks for all your help everyone!
    hey, we are here to help!

Wierd that they sell the 871 without the powder.

You really want to keep,the skimmer baskets as clean as possible. Junk in the basket is still "in the water" so your chlorine sees it as an organic and tries to oxidize it.

15. Back To Top    #15

Tim is right, keep those things cleaned out.

I looked at the website and indeed it is Odd that they have the Titrant for FAS DPD and none of the other components.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

Okay, a bit of a development. So Friday night im standing near the skimmer and i smell the scent, put my head in there and i definitely smell it....next day im taking a shower...I smell it in the shower! now i get some water from my fridge, i smell it in my CUP!!! so something is up from the water we are getting in the house. i thought i was hallucinating! its for sure there though. gonna call DWP and have them check it out. its not horrible, almost imperceptible - but i know its there and am sensitive to it. i was in the spa today and after a minute i didnt even notice it. but at least i know its not from something i did! weird!

17. Back To Top    #17

It is probably an algae bloom in the lake the water is coming from. We get that occasionally.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It is probably an algae bloom in the lake the water is coming from. We get that occasionally.
    gonna talk to a couple of my neighbors to see if they've noticed it to. with all the craziness in southern California over water and the cost of it, it should at least taste and smell good!

19. Back To Top    #19

Right! But, sometimes when you get closer to the bottom of the lake the stinky stuff comes out! Ever own a fish pond?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

i changed my refrigerator water filter and it eliminated any trace of it from the drinking water. waiting to hear back from DWP. im hoping they send someone out to do some testing. from what im reading, it might be some sort of organic or possibly a metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast