Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baquacil conversion questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Baquacil conversion questions

Converting from Baquacil to bleach.

23,000 gallons, Eastern New Mexico, Taylor k-2006 kit, sand filter.

I started the conversion on Monday, pool water is clear and looks really nice, however still loosing 4ppm overnight, the last 2 nights. I was just wondering if someone can give me a time frame for conversion. I have used around 25-30 bottles of 8.25% bleach(ready for that number to slow down), and my sand needs to be changed desperately.

Just looking for timeline guidance.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baquacil conversion questions

Welcome to TFP!

The later stages of the conversion are somewhat variable, several days to a few weeks. It mostly seems to depend on how long you have been using baqua, more use means more time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. This is our second season with the pool. We used baqua last year because that is what previous owner used, and the owner before that, so probably 10 plus years of baqua. Still worked well but not well enough for the cost, still had a lot of "not so clear" water days. That's why I am going bleach.

I will stay after it, and hope walmart continues to get bleach shipments because I am buying them out.

4. Back To Top    #4

On your next trip to WalMart stop by Home Depot and pick up your sand if you don't already have it. Mine has the pool filter sand under the pool chemicals in the outside garden area.

You seem to be doing very well. Congratulations!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

One thing you can do to help the process is to make sure you are brushing the pool a TON. Brush every nook and cranny as the Baqua tends to find it's way everywhere. Lights, ladders, returns, steps all tend to provide a great "hiding spot" for the goo to hang out in.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice.

I have the sand. Got it last week. I have been trying to stay on top of the sweeping and vacuuming, and this afternoon/evening will definitely be spent doing more of that.

7. Back To Top    #7

One more question. Do I have to keep the pool pump running 24/7 until the conversion is complete?

8. Back To Top    #8

Running the pump 24/7 is very important in the process. The more you can circulate the water, the faster the process will go.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. That's what I have been doing, but wanted to confirm. Checked FC this morning and only lost 2.5 last night. Getting close.

10. Back To Top    #10

I went through about 45 gallons of bleach in my process and that was after replacing half the water. I look out and smile at my crystal clear water daily. Thank goodness for this site.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I have now surpassed the 45 bottles of bleach mark and still going. (I didn't replace any water, except to top it off as I vacuum and backwash) I am starting to come very close to running out of r-0871, so I am hoping my refill comes soon.

The water is already crystal clear, and I am happy about that. Just wish this conversion would come to an end soon.

12. Back To Top    #12

How much chlorine do you lose overnight? That is the best indication of how far along in the conversion you are.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I ended up replenishing some of the test kit supplies as well. First it was the reagents for the chlorine test then the CYA test components. The speed stir is the machine - if you haven't gone that route I highly recommend it.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I have been losing around 2 to 2.5 the last few nights. However last night I think I must have miscounted my drops because this morning I lost 4ppm. Probably human error on my part.

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't heard of the speed stir before, so I looked it up. If it wasn't for the fact that someday I will no longer be adding 30 plus drops to test for this level of chlorine, I would definitely look into getting one. I was just thinking the past few nights that I am getting tired of swirling and trying to count drops and keep an eye on color.

15. Back To Top    #15

The SpeedStir is even better for high CH fill water portions of the country.

16. Back To Top    #16

And for TA in many, like mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

Only lost .5ppm last night! CC was .5 or less. I say or less because I was testing in .5 increments, and it only took one 0871 drop to turn the water back to clear.

Time to change the sand and add CYA!!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

That's great! How is the water looking?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

19. Back To Top    #19

Crystal clear!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by minister1534 View Post
    Crystal clear!
    Wonderfull!!!

Great job
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast