Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What direction should the return be pointed

1. Back To Top    #1

What direction should the return be pointed

I have a 30 ft round above ground pool. What direction should the return be pointed? Up, down, or straight ahead.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What direction should the return be pointed

None of the above! LOL! It should be pointed to the left or right, the goal in a pool is to generate circular water flow either clockwise or counterclockwise to get debris moving toward the skimmer or filter inlet.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Jwise

For daily maintenance I agree with Pooldv. You want to get a rotation going to help the skimmer. But every pool is different so it doesn't hurt to try all the variations and see what works for you.
    I have a few returns and a deep end so there are times I'll point one down to help mix the warm water near the surface with the cold water sitting on the bottom of the deep end. It's also the one I use for adding chemicals. I keep it loose in the wall so I can rotate it at will without tools.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's pointed up and breaking the surface of the water, the pH could rise quickly. It drives me batty seeing them shoot straight into the pool because it does nothing for skimming action. I usually have mine pointed down at an angle to get the rotation so the skimmer can do it's job n the water in the bottom of the pool gets moved daily when I don't sweep.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I do the same as Casey. I usually point mine down at an angle. And if want a good rotation going, i point it straight to the right. It usually creates a pretty good whirlpool and causes all the debris to accumulate in the center. Makes it easy to remove that way.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought a 90 elbow for my return n boy does it ever blast the side of the pool n get it moving! I just pop it off when I add bleach so it doesn't ruin my liner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    None of the above! LOL! It should be pointed to the left or right, the goal in a pool is to generate circular water flow either clockwise or counterclockwise to get debris moving toward the skimmer or filter inlet.
    Ditto. All mine are pointed slightly up and to the left to create clockwise flow.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have more than one return then they can be pointed roughly straight out for creating a circular water flow. In my pool it looks like the following:

___v__________________
    | .................................. |
    | .....D.......................... <
    | .....D........................... |
    |__ S _____________^__|

where the "^", "<", and "v" are returns, the "S" is a skimmer, and the two "D"s are floor drains. The water flows in a counter-clockwise direction.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

This is a 30ft round pool with 1 return.

10. Back To Top    #10

Whoops. Should have read that first post! Yes, a round pool is easy -- just point the return to one side. Now for better bottom circulation you might consider pointing diagonally downwards though there is less skimmer action that way, but hopefully you can create a swirling funnel effect.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"