Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is common for coping overhang on a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is common for coping overhang on a pool?

My wife and I have been having discussions about the need or desire to have some exposed coping over hanging the pool. My wife believes that some extension will assist swimmers when grasping the sides. I think a more flush coping will make it easier to get out of the pool. We know we will bull nose the coping though we have not finalized the coping choice. We are also putting in an auto cover. There are two ways this can be mounted in the pool, one is under the coping lip which would result in a 3 inch over hang, the other is 'encapsulate' the rail on the side under the coping, this will result in 1/4 inch over hang. With encapsulation the water level will also be a little lower. Our coping choices will be limited because of the extra thickness required if we go with the under mount. But we think we can find acceptable selections with either thickness.

What's funny is we have been in agreement on almost all other items about our pool (dig starts April 13th) but this 'small' detail has us flummoxed.

Does your pool have any coping over hang? Do you notice one way or the other? What is the typical standard? Thanks!!!
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is common for coping overhang on a pool?

We have flagstone coping and a freeform pool so it is not uniform. It is mostly 1"-2" overhang. I think either of your choices is fine for a kid hanging on to the side. Personally, I would go with 1/4", especially if you have some benches around the pool for the adults to sit on for a chat and a beverage. 3" might be a little too much.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I made mine 1.5 and have been happy with it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

People like to dangle their feet so 'more' overhang feels more natural.

Remember some/most of the church benches how un-natural it felt when your heals hit the back wall?

Sit in a tall (bar) chair and see how you feet naturally rest.
    Viking fiberglass Island Breeze II (16'x40'x8'); Pentair pump/filter/heater/chlorinator; IntelliTouch with iX+3; Autelis.

5. Back To Top    #5

You need a little, so about 1.5"-2" depending on coping type is good.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm at 1.5"
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the responses. I am now on the side of the overhang. I will post a visual of the CoverStar specs to show the 3 " requirement for undermount auto covers. Are there any autocoder owners who have some experience on this?
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

We have a Coverstar cover with the integrated rail. So the rail doesn't really project out. I don't see the benefit of an overhang type where it hangs on the underside of the coping. My coping does extend probably 1 1/2" but that is not a requirement of my cover rail. You can look in my build thread in (link in my signature) for some closeup pics of the rail and coping.

Best of luck with your project. Let me know if you have any follow-up cover questions.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Great info in this thread!

Our pool (under construction) has a couple of inches of overhang, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it until now.

Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you. We actually saw your build last fall during out decision phase, and 'rediscovered' it again this spring. Our basic's are fairly similar. I think integrated and encapsulated describe the same auto cover mounting process. Our PB talked with the Coverstar person who will be installing and he told us 3/4 of an inch is as far as it can go out before the coping interferes with the cover. You said yours is 1 1/2 so I am still researching.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I didn't measure the overhang to be honest. Sorry about that. In looking at one of my pics, it probably isn't more than 3/4". It must be the same cover group though out of My Airy. It is the big round bar at the opening end of the cover that causes the limitation on the coping overhang.
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for confirming this! So I assume with the 3/4 coping lip you never noticed any concerns one way or the other.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

We have a lot of bench work around the pool so we are always sitting on them and leaning back up against the coping. It really depends on how deep the benches are/how it hits your back or shoulders/overhang depth/angle of recline/phase of the moon/etc. Ours has seemed fine. You are probably overthinking this one. We all do it on many aspects of our pool builds. But better to overthink than underthink.

14. Back To Top    #14

Absolutely over thinking! Time to find a new item to worry about.

15. Back To Top    #15

We too have a built in bench, which we LOVE by the way. Best add on we did. Anyway, at a 1.5" overhang, it doesn't annoy us when pressing on the back.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

16. Back To Top    #16

if your pool coping has that grove to hook the winter cover into then don't overhang paver too much because its hard to access that grove.

17. Back To Top    #17

We have about 1.5" or so and it doesn't bother anyone on the bench. My neighbor has ZERO overhang and I think it doesn't look right.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa