Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Heat - separate forum

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Heat - separate forum

I am toying with the idea of adding solar heat now that I can actually use the pool.
    A separate forum would be nice and may prompt some activity.

Thanks,

Hal
    "Whatever happened to the guy who drained his whole pool?"
    27,000 gal plaster in-ground
    Compupool 40k SWG from eBay - works great!
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE
    1.4 HP Hayward Northstar pump
    Two FAFCO Solar Bear panels now heating the pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Heat - separate forum

I'll go along with that. I think a separate solar heating forum would be a great idea.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

3. Back To Top    #3

I want a separate solar heater forum. Hopefully populated by people who will help me install one. I am willing to pay up two two cases of beer !!
    14,500 inground gunite
    7' connected spa with overflow waterfall
    Goldline salt water chlorine generator
    Hayward 4 cartridge filter
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

4. Back To Top    #4

Polaris 380
    Hayward DE

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought I would bring this topic up again and was wondering if any progress has been made?
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

6. Back To Top    #6

The final decision would be up to SeanB but my two cents worth would be that people might then want a separate section for heat pumps and gas heaters and might also want the solar heat section divided into above ground and in ground since there are some major installation differences between the two. My feeling is that it would complicate the forum.
    I would suggest that simply doing a search on 'solar heat' from the search tab on the menu bar at the top of each page. It brings up quite a bit of information.

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think it quite warrants it's own separate forum, but you can always start a compelling thread that people can follow.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

Solar heat section??? Third request!

Please!, Oh, Please!
    My pool is getting chilly. I'm thinking about adding some solar panels again.
    How about a solar heat section?
    Are those systems on eBay OK?
    Can I do it myself?
    Are all panels the same?
    Do I need an expensive controller or just a timer?
    I have a raised metal roof. Any problems with that?
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Solar heat section??? Third request!

I've recently installed the Fafco Sungrabber panels. 2 - 2x20 foot sections are less than $200 on ebay and come with the warranty. I installed 160 sq. ft. myself for less than $600 (no controller) and the cheapest I could have a professional company install them for was over $2k AFTER the government rebates, etc.

Currently, I have no controller, but where I live it is sunny most of the time. I figure I could tweak out a couple more weeks of swimming with a controller, but that is just a guess. For this season and next, I'm just leaving the solar on and adjusting pump run times based on solar charts. If the family decides they want to extend the swimming season a bit more, I'll probably add a controller. Also, I have a built in spa, so can heat that using solar very quickly, which should be nice in the winter months. I also only have a solar cover for the spa since having one over the pool is just a pain I don't want to deal with as much as my kids go in and out.

Right now, my pool is between 88-90 while my neighbors that are unheated are in the 80-82 range.

All the panels are not the same. You also have to check to be sure you are getting IG vs AB panels; although some people claim it makes no difference. I have never gotten a good straight answer on that one.

If you have a good hardware / tractor supply store near you (not HD), you can get the additional panel connector kits (reinforced hose and clamps) and the barbed fittings, vacuum relief valves, etc. cheaper than ordering online.

The only thing I would do differently is to get the 2x10 panels instread of the 2x20. Simply because it is a real pain to get the 2x20 which must be mounted horizontally to stay flat and not sag causing ripples. I also need to switch from plastic to metal pipe clamps for holding the feed and return 2" PVC pipe in place. The plastic gets hot and bends too easily.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

hal3,

Your request for a forum is worth considering, for sure.

We have learned, however, not to make too many changes too quickly or we end up making the forum harder to navigate instead of more interesting.

Over the winter (I know we move slowly), Jason will gather up opinions on the structure of the site and then add and subtract those things that seem to be of interest to most people.

Meanwhile, you have a good thread started and you can search "solar heat" and get lot's of info to look at.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Another fan for a Solar Heat Forum Section.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

12. Back To Top    #12

As duraleigh said, we will be re-examining this question over the winter. For now, you should be able to find what you want with the search function, or just by scanning through the topic list of the Everything Else forum.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Solar Forum

OK.

I think this is the third year that I have requested a forum for solar.

As I recall, at the end of the summer I start thinking about solar and I look for panels and there are all kinds and I look here and ... no solar forum.

Or ... just tell me exactly which panels to buy and where and how to install them. Or does it depend?

Anyway ... how hard could it be?

Could we please have a solar heat forum?

Thanks!

Polaris 380
    Hayward DE

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Solar Forum

good idea.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

15. Back To Top    #15

I third that
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Well, it's tempting to meet everyone's request and that ultimate decision ends up with JasonLion, our administrator.

I will say it is difficult to keep the forum simple and uncluttered as it is. If we get a solar forum, do we need a pump forum? Surely there's lot's more questions about pumps.

Hal3, have you searched "solar" on the site. Everything that search returns ends up being it's own forum, sort of.

TFP is unquestionably the premier pool site on the net and we want to make every effort that it stay that way by being tuned in to what folks want.

We also have to be cognizant that the site not become too cluttered and cumbersome.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

My 2 cents- Maybe a forum on heat in general, and from there people can start posts on gas, electric, solar, heat pumps ect. If you are just doing casual reading searching is fine. If you are trying to gather all the info and make deicisions on major purchases scatered info is frustrating.
    My 2 cents from a new.... but PAYING member
    Jason- Keep up the great work, we all know you cant make everyone happy!
    My Pool: Indoor 20x40 Lazy L, sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Please put @SOLARFORUM in solar heat posts if you think they would fit in a solar heat forum and we can just search on that.
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE