Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC leak at Multi-port

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC leak at Multi-port

We have a leak from the sand filter to the PVC leaving toward salt generator. I've attached photo with arrow pointing to leak. Doesn't seemed to be cracked, but hard to tell. We've never had a problem before but we do have limited experience repairing home pipes. Can someone help us? Thank you!
    pvc leak.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC pipe leak

Is this a threaded joint or is the white pipe glued into the black?

Not an expert but it seems to me the threads on the outside of the valve would have been the correct connection.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: PVC leak at Multi-port

I agree that must be a threaded connection, but pretty odd they did not use the exterior threads to not restrict the flow some much at the joint.

There might be just enough pipe left there to cut off the fitting that goes into the filter, and add a new fitting and coupler ... better yet, use a union instead of a coupler to make it easier to get into the top of the filter if needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

All top mounted multiports should have unions. Pentair makes a kit for it, its this one. http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-150119.../dp/B008GT5OUI . It threads on the outside of the valve.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

5. Back To Top    #5

If I understand correctly, I need to order the Pentair kit and cut where the threads go inside the valve. The new connection will be outside threads, rather than inside, the way the pool installer "experts" installed it.

6. Back To Top    #6

that is one option. or just get a regular union and a new fitting to put on the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!