1972 Inground Gunite Pool Remodel (Pictures)

If you saw what mine was doing, you'd want no part of it. Based on what mine is doing, I don't think any amount of sealer will stop it.
The flagstone we selected for the coping is Tennessee Crab Orchard. I would be interested to hear from anyone else that has this, and how it has weathered. We were going to switch to salt water, during this renovation, but after talking with our pool guy and doing some of my own research on the net, elected to stick with the setup we have. Pool guy told us salt water would be hard on the surfaces and my own research found lots of complaints about it prematurely weathering coping, etc. As for the Crab Orchard, it comes in varying colors from grey to pink. With grey being the hardest and best to weather, (at least that is my understanding). The colors we selected are going to be in the brown to tans area, so they will fall in between. I haven't read too many complaints on this as far as flaking, but it seems it is a possibility, especially with the softer stone (lighter colored version). I may start another thread asking if anyone has any experience with this and how it has weathered for them.

So I decided on a pump after talking with my pool guy. My old crappy Superpump burned up just before they started construction. After having to replace the motors on these roughly every 3 years or so I decided to spend the money on something better. My electric bill in the summer with air conditioner running and pool pump running was close to 400 bucks a month. My pool guy was big on the Pentair Intelliflo pumps. He told me he has yet to replace one and had an impressive story to tell about how a guy had been running one dry for quite some time, when he came upon the scene, and how after he fixed the issues, it hummed away like nothing ever happened. So I ordered my pump online, got a better price than pool guy could, I ordered the Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump. Which may be more than my pool needs, but if it saves me money on my electric bill, I'll be happy. Anyway, I order online... my pump shows up and I'm looking at the box for any damage (in case it might need to be returned). Nothing major, except...... I notice a small slit in the side... I see a black plastic thing through the slit. So I open the box to inspect the pump. First thing I notice is, there is not enough packing foam for my liking... nothing on the sides just a piece on each end. I remove the pump and see the electric connect box is right where the slit in the side of the box was. I then see, that one of the plastic insulator dividers on the terminal black is busted off. ...Right where there was a lack of packing material..... I rummage through the box and find the broken divider tab in the bottom. Now at this point I'm a little ticked, because this pump is expensive and I would expect it to be packed a bit better to prevent things like this from happening. Heck, if they had just install the metal cover over the electric box and shipped it with it installed it would have prevented this sort of thing. Now me being a mechanic, I'm thinking that I can make it work because its not that bad. But I take a photo of problem and text it with an explanation to the pool guy. He calls me back a little while later asking for more clarity. Once I explain, he says it shouldn't be a problem and to leave the pump out for him to inspect when he comes by Monday. I find it interesting, that while I was shopping around for this pump, I saw a few listed on ebay at decent prices, but they had broken terminal blocks..... Hmmm..... Anyway, here's some pictures of what I'm talking about.....

Yea, I wouldn't like that either, but it's ok and safely workable. I have that pump and love it. They don't like lightning strikes at all and can be very sensitive to surges. I'm getting something for protection on my system soon.

When it's closer to start up time, let's talk about your amount of run time. Quite often, we see folks running far longer than is needed. You're gonna love that pump.

Yea, I wouldn't like that either, but it's ok and safely workable. I have that pump and love it. They don't like lightning strikes at all and can be very sensitive to surges. I'm getting something for protection on my system soon.

When it's closer to start up time, let's talk about your amount of run time. Quite often, we see folks running far longer than is needed. You're gonna love that pump.
Good to hear you love the pump. I had a hard time finding much negative about those pumps.Would definitely like to hear thoughts on run times when it comes time! What were you considering doing as far as protection? I might want to have something incorporated into mine, especially with the investment I have in it!

Had that pump for three years and it is awesome. It has been running 24x7x365 for three years and it is cheap to operate. We have lots-o-trees dropping stuff in the pool continuously. It runs all the time at 1100 rpm to skim, only draws 150 watts. Jumps to 1950 rpm for solar and draws 550 watts.

Good to hear you love the pump. I had a hard time finding much negative about those pumps.Would definitely like to hear thoughts on run times when it comes time! What were you considering doing as far as protection? I might want to have something incorporated into mine, especially with the investment I have in it!

Im getting an electrician friend to help me out with that. For me, that is one thing best left to a Pro.

I know my limitations. :joker:

Here's what's is most likely happening with the shipping: There are 2 packaging paradigms, one for palletized shipping and one for single-unit shipping. Most likely, the pump seller is purchasing in bulk to get a discount, so he receives a pallet of pumps. Due to the structure of the pallet and the plastic wrapping, the manufacturer can get away with "flimsy" individual boxes (which helps keep the price down, hence the bulk discount). These boxes are not adequate for individual pump shipping; instead, they are meant for a pool installer to put into the back of his truck and hand-deliver to his job site. For single-unit shipping, there is a much more robust packaging solution.

In your case (as well as all the eBay pumps), you ended up with bulk shipment packaging which was never meant for UPS shipping. Your pump seller should have repacked the pump prior to shipment.

Here's what's is most likely happening with the shipping: There are 2 packaging paradigms, one for palletized shipping and one for single-unit shipping. Most likely, the pump seller is purchasing in bulk to get a discount, so he receives a pallet of pumps. Due to the structure of the pallet and the plastic wrapping, the manufacturer can get away with "flimsy" individual boxes (which helps keep the price down, hence the bulk discount). These boxes are not adequate for individual pump shipping; instead, they are meant for a pool installer to put into the back of his truck and hand-deliver to his job site. For single-unit shipping, there is a much more robust packaging solution.

In your case (as well as all the eBay pumps), you ended up with bulk shipment packaging which was never meant for UPS shipping. Your pump seller should have repacked the pump prior to shipment.

That makes sense. Probably exactly what has happened.

Well they got the stone over here today and started cutting it for the coping. Here are some pictures of what is looks like at this stage:
Wife was freaking out because it was really grey. I hosed it down with water and the rock dust came off and she felt better. Our house has zero grey in it.....

House colors for reference on why she picked tile, rocks, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's another update, they've spent the last couple of days mortaring in the coping and putting up the thin stone on the back wall. They still have to finish the ends of the wall and apply the capstones, which will be the same stone as the coping edge. We pretty pleased with how it's coming along. Much better than the plain Jane pool we had before.

- - - Updated - - -

Your wife has GREAT taste!

I LOVE that tile and coping!

Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

Kim

Thanks! I'll pass along your compliments!

I thought that stone looked familiar. I did my pool in Tennessee Crab Orchard a few years ago with an overhanging coping like yours. I sealed it with Dupont StoneTech Professional Enhancer Pro Sealer and so far it has held up great. Here is a link for my pool that has some pictures of the the flagstone.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...lagstoning-around-(and-on)-my-fiberglass-pool
Very nice looking pool Keith! I'm glad to hear the stone has held up for you. Patrick had me somewhat concerned that we made the wrong choice in going with flagstone for the coping and capstone. I'm not sure what type of sealer the builder uses, but he said it will enhance the color of the stone, so it may be the same or something similar.

- - - Updated - - -

They do nice work. Looking good man! :goodjob:
Yes they do! They came highly recommended! We are very pleased with everything so far!

It's been a while since I posted some progress. We've been stalled all last week because of weather. The guys showed back up today and started working on the deck. They had to patch some bad areas that were under the green astro turf carpet that the previous owners had had covering an area near the house. They also spent most of the day with a big walk behind grinder, grinding the two layers of kool deck off in prep for them to put the new stuff on. I so wanted to go with something besides kool deck, because I really dislike it. But the wife suggested we spend most of the money on the pool and can refinish the patio a different way next time its due if we still want to. Anyway, they finished putting the capstone on the wall and I assume they are pretty much done with it, with the exception of an area on the end that you really don't see. But pool guy told me they had to get more rock because they just ran short. The waterfall features in the wall stick out past the stone. Which I'm not sure I like. Is this something they will cut back even with rock face or are they supposed to come out past the face? Here are some pictures:

This one was from the roof when I was up there cleaning out gutters. Was before entire wall was completed.

Here are some boring pictures of the decking after the grind and patch job today

On another note, I had to replace my hot water tank today, so I got into a file box we had in storage to put the receipt and literature in the folder with rest of house items. I pulled out the pool folder that was left with the house when we bought it. Inside I found the owners manual for my pool. I thought it was pretty cool that it was still around after all these years. Here are a few snapshots of some of the pages, you can see the dated photos.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.