New Guy From New Orleans Area!

Did you do the drop based chlorine test or just the comparator tube that's with the ph test? Did you shake the sample in the cya bottle? Just checking since you didn't mention that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did do the CL2 drop test. I put a scope of the R-870 in the sample and it really didn't change the color. Only a slight slight slight shade even after swirling it. Then put only one drop of the R-871 in it and it quickly turn it back to clear, not that it wasn't clear before. The one drop just made the very slight tint crystal clear again.

Wayne

Tomorrow I will retest everything and compare it to today's findings. So where do I start to get everything where it needs to be?

Also my buddy can get me liquid bleach he said its Sodium Hypochlorite that ranges from 12-15%. After delivery they test it to get a exact percentage.

The MSDS for it says

Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%
Sodium Chloride (salt) 9-10%
Sodium Hydroxide .5-2%
Water - Remainder

It was last updated in December 2014 so it's pretty current

Would using this be better than store bought? I'm personally thinking it would be better because I can store smaller containers of stronger bleach so as to not take up as much room.

Wayne

If it's a good price, and you can get a steady fresh supply of it, I'd say use it. The problem comes from trying to store it for a period of time, because it will lose strength. But that's not what it sounds like you are trying to do. There's a chart on here somewhere that shows how quickly bleach loses strength at different temperatures. Anyway, you need to get some chlorine in there before that pretty blue turns into ugly green. Also based on your test results, you need to get some CYA in there too. Plug your numbers into poolmath and you will see how much chlorine and CYA to add based on your pool volume.

Wish I had a chlorine supplier. Keep it in a cool dark place. I keep mine in basement.

Wish I had a chlorine supplier. Keep it in a cool dark place. I keep mine in basement.

Ditto. I have close to 2,000,000 pounds of 100% pure liquid chlorine at work. And for some reason they will not build a bleach plant. Apparently they tossed around the idea a few times over the years though. I've got my fingers crossed.

Well I don't understand it all, that's why I'm here. But it's my understanding that pucks and granules have CYA which can be bad but some is wanted. Based off of my tests if done correctly I have none.

Wayne

I would check pool math, and see how much of the granules that you have it would require to get the recommended amount of CYA. Depending on how much it says to add, it may be cheaper to buy the pure CYA and use the free chlorine that you can get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Too much CYA is no good. Too little CYA is also not good. But just the right balance is good at protecting your chlorine from the Sun. I keep my pool at 50ppm through the summer because the Sun beats on my pool for 12 hrs a day with no shade.

Confirm the ingredient in the granules. Then use PoolMath to tell you what it will do.

Because they can have so many different effects and be confusing to people new to maintaining the pool, that is why we recommend using products that one change one thing at a time.

Your test says you have no CYA or almost none so you DO need some. You need at least 40ppm in your pool. You can use pool math in the link below to find out how to get it in your pool. You can use the stuff you have BUT it will not raise your CYA fast enough.

I would see how many pounds pool math says you need. I would buy about 1/2 of what it says you need. Better to shoot low as it is easier to put in more than to take it out.

When you go to put it in please do it like this:
-large tube sock
-bungee or rope that can be tied off
-CYA aka stabilizer or balance

Put the CYA in the sock. Wrap or type the bungee/rope around the sock. Place the sock in front of your return. Give it a few squeezes every time you are in the area.

Do NOT test for CYA until a week after you have added it. It will not show up on the test until then for some reason I forget.

Dose with chlorine as if the amount of CYA you added to the pool is there even though you cannot test it yet.

I hope this helps.

Kim

Don't fret Wayne. You'll get it n if you don't, Just ask.

So I punched all my numbers into Pool Math and this is what I came up with. Hope I did it all correctly. Nervous that the CYA was wrong because all I have ever used was Shock with CYA so how can it be 0?

CCBCE1AD-ED3F-42EC-A3B5-7E5534CC4BE4.png

3E634CC0-EEBC-4678-B7ED-1CEC78F30994.png

What I see is a lot of stuff I need to to, Drain 29% of the water and refill, Bleach, Stabilizer, Baking Soda, and Washing Soda.

What I havnt entered in is Borate. I don't recall seeing that being something I can test for. How do I do that?

My guess is that I should drain the pool about 1/3 and refill with tap water. Before adding anything would it be a good idea to let is circulate over night to make sure the pool water and tap water mixes well and then rerun all the test?

Wayne

Also I was talking to the operation manager at work who has a pool and he was telling me about these test strips he uses which tells him a lot of the info the TF-100 does. Are they worth a ****?

Wayne

The short and sweet answer is ....no. Sorry. Strips are not accurate, nor accurate enough for taking care of your pool the TFP way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.