Our Mountain Retreat

Hi everyone and happy Mothers Day to all the great moms out there.

90% of the landscaping is complete. But we've had some delays due to weather. Heavy rains, lightning, thunder and a late season winter storm has set us back about a week or two.

And this morning:

We've got about 2 days of drying out before the landscapers can finish. Then, the builder will be coming in the following week to make some mechanical adjustments, plaster and fill. Hopefully, 2 weeks from today, I'll be posting our completed backyard.

Morning everyone,

Our landscaping is now finished except for the waterfall. That will have to wait for final adjustments and light placement once the pool has been filled.

Plastering is scheduled for tomorrow, but we may have an issue with ground water leaking into the pool. We’ve had so much rain (and snow) in the past couple of weeks, the ground is completely saturated. Looking at the weather forecast, it doesn’t look like the rain is going to let up much for the coming week either. More delays. Sigh.

But, we’ve been able to make use of the fire pit and will fire up the BBQ for the first time tonight to celebrate Mothers Day…a week late. Steaks courtesy of our landscapers who felt bad about delaying our celebration.

Here’s the latest:

Fingers crossed for plaster and fill this week. Still hoping to take a dip this coming long weekend.

Is this a hotel? Do you take reservations?? I love the cozy feel of the fire pit - I would spend so much time in there, and the waterfall is stunning. The lights in the bbq are are awesome, really looks cool at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Karynkjd! It is amazing - looks just like your thread title, a "Mountain Retreat". I'd like my steak medium rare, please!!

And for me, the snow puts it all over the top. I may have missed it earlier, but will you be able to use the spa in the winter - or maybe the pool also?? That would be my dream - sitting in the spa with snow all around (and attendants to bring me more drinks and warmed towels when I'm ready to get out!).

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful build with us! Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks karynkjd and Suz. The landscaping credit goes to my wife. Her vision. Her dream with some guidance from our great landscapers :)

My part...is leaking. :( But, I hope that will be remedied tomorrow. :)

As for sitting in the spa with snow all around, my wife is also looking forward to that. Unfortunately, I'll be the one that has to get out to get her the warm towel. The pool will be winterized and covered for the offseason.

You rock, SlowRocker! (couldn't resist) Your wife is a lucky gal, and you must feel like a lucky guy. Otherwise, you wouldn't be digging up your reserves of energy to use for spoiling her! Life is sweet, isn't it!! And have some extra steak for me.... Suz.

You rock, SlowRocker! (couldn't resist) Your wife is a lucky gal, and you must feel like a lucky guy. Otherwise, you wouldn't be digging up your reserves of energy to use for spoiling her! Life is sweet, isn't it!! And have some extra steak for me.... Suz.

FYI, I need to figure out how to sear on this thing, but they came out medium rare..in most spots (1" think NY strip steak), perfect for her. One of my girls hates...hates...steak. She loved it. Not sure if it was the cut, the marinade or the cooking or all the above. Will need to further investigate. Next weekend...carne and pollo asada with our landscapers and their family. Hope the pool and spa will be ready to go.

I'm officially pooped. Will continue next week. Thanks for the wonderful comments.

How long is the pool season there?

From what I understand, others in the area are already swimming and it should last to the end of September maybe October. This past year it was definitely warm enough to swim to the end of October.

For those who've been following along, plaster was cancelled for today and we don't know when it'll be rescheduled. Rain is supposed to be on an off through next week with one storm after another. At this moment, I'm sick of the rain. Taking a dip this coming long weekend is looking pretty poor. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.