Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does CYA float?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does CYA float?

We have had at least 6 or 7 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks. My CYA was always 70 from time i took over the pool from PB in October. Now after all this rain it has dropped to almost 30, OK maybe just below 40 for sure. That's not possible is it? Unless over 1/2 the water was replaced, right? The funny part is that my CH has dropped very little and salt level is still okay per the IC 40. So unless the CYA floats to the top and runs out the pool, i have some kind of error in testing which has been steady from the time i took over this pool.
    Pool math says it will take almost the whole container of CYA(4 lbs.) to get back to 70.

The only other thing i can think of was that i did do a metal treatment just before the rains came. We have high metal water in my area and PB said doing the treatment twice a year will keep it in check. Man that stuff makes cleaning filters lots of fun. Any thoughts?
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Does CYA float?

No it does not float. If you ran the pump for 30-60 minutes to mix the rain water in, then your testing should have been accurate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!