New Sand Filter

May 26, 2014
Clinton,Iowa
When we bought our pool 3 years ago we went with a cartridge filter. It works good but have found it to be a real pain when opening the pool and during the once a week of pulling it out and cleaning it all the time and the $100 for each cartridge which after opening I have to get another one and by the end of the year spent about $300 anyway so we are going with a sand filter but not sure the size we need. we have a 28' round pool 4' deep.

Well, part of the problem is that your filter is too small. For a 20k pool, you should have a 300 sqft cartridge filter. The other issue is that it does not sound like you are closing and opening properly if you are having to deal with algae blooms ... yes carts are a pain to clear up algae.

If you want to go with sand, you should look for something around 26" diameter (3.7 sqft). Although you may not be happy with it either as most of your problems appear to be chemical related.

With a proper size filter and good chemical maintenance, you may only need to clean a cart filter 1-2 times per year.

Please add a more useful location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Ok sounds good. The filter is what they gave us when we bought the pool from the business. Have you heard of opening a pool prior to the grass turning green as that is when it gets warm and Algae grows? I have heard of opening before it gets warm. Not sure if you have that problem in Arizona but I live in Iowa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.