Clearing our swamp

I agree. When running a DE filter, they filter the best and are the worst when clearing a swamp because they are so good! They need babysat if you want 100% honesty. Tear the whole thing down and give it a deep clean. You may have to do this more often than not while clearing the swamp... Which looks good since you started.

Yes we did break down the filter and soak all the grids for 3 hours in TSP before we started to shock the pool. The grids were basically black. Then two days ago I drained the filter and pulled the lid off just to look. It still looked pretty cleaned so I hosed it off, then did a full recharge of de. Every time I backwash I recharge at 80%.

Oddly after doing nothing but plugging a few returns last night and getting lots of bubbles out of the clogged one it started to flo again like the others that are closer to the pump. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble with FC test?

Hello,
I've been clearing a major swamp the last 10 days using the methods on this forum. Been testing my FC like crazy and adding bleach to keep my pool at shock level (10 according to pool math) All was going well until 2 days ago my FC was 16. Not sure how it go that high so I didn't add any bleach all day. After the sun went down I tested it and got 14.5. Tested again this morning and got 14.5. So I took a water sample to the pool store and they said the FC is only 6.6. I am confused??? My is my test off? Using the TF-100. Please help!

Re: Trouble with FC test?

Always trust your own results over any pool store results. A complete novice with a FAS-DPD chlorine test is already better than 3/4 of all pool store test results.

Ignore my last comment. I just saw this. Really? Kinda hard for me to believe.

So I need to keep up the shock process though right until my cc is better?

You should be seeing some improvement in water clarity each day, though possibly only a very small improvement. Watch around the steps or a ladder, that makes it easier to spot small changes.

You will also want to maintain shock level until the CC comes down to 0.5 or lower. And it is probably worth raising the CYA level a little.

Fairly minor testing or dosage errors can result in FC levels changing unexpectedly. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

First time this year. Ahhh.

attachment.php

LOL Richard!

YOUR test results are fresh from the pool. When you take it to the pool store it has changed temps., been in the sun, etc. AND the pool store would LOVE to sell you something so.............

YOUR test results are the ones you use and trust.

Take a picture of your ladder or your pool brush at a level you just see it. Mark where the handle is in the pool. Do it every day and you will see the progress, small as it may be, every day. This will give you hope that you are on the right track.

Good luck!

Kim

Time alone is a killer on a FC Test transported to the PS. Mostly, it's inaccuracy, and the TF100 FAS DPD isn't lacking in this.

Oh that makes sense. The water sample sat in my car for 1.5 hours before going to the pool store. I'll remember that for next time but I sure hope I don't have to take another water sample in, they just keep trying to sell me algaecide and shock and look at me like I am crazy when I say "no thank you, I am using liquid chlorine." :)

What is the story with your filter? Has the pressure risen 20-25% above your clean pressure?
Are you running the pump on high or low?

No today I am getting very little flo (not visible on the surface) even after I backwash on the return eyeball furthest from the pump. I've been backwashing when the pressure rises by 10-12%.

I am assuming pump is on high. Not sure how to change the speed, I'll go look at my manual to confirm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.