Another Texas Pool Build

I do have to say, that's a pretty steep drop off from the tanning ledge though. I'd be careful with the kids on that and anyone new to the pool who doesn't realize it's a drop off.

Casey brings up a good point, during one of our previous pool designs we were very particular about where the tanning ledge was, where the steps were. During our final run here (different builder) we didn't concentrate on those details as much. Now that I can see what we have I am wondering why we didn't have that tanning ledge at the shallow end and fit some steps into the other side of the spa, seems very obvious now but it is amazing how you get side tracked during the design process. Probably best advice is the advice that is already out there, write everything down when you think of it, list out your priorities (Must Have, Nice To Have, or Luxury) and bring it to your pool builder, they will find a way to incorporate it if they want your business. Luckily we have some good swimmers in the group, I would worry about others coming over especially the little ones. Hopefully my TFP water chemistry will leave us with such water clarity that everybody will be able to see the ledge otherwise ...... :shock:

About 1/3 of our sun shelf has steps and the other 2/3 has 3-1/2' to 4' drop off. We like putting our arms on the ledge with legs dangling behind and hanging out there sometimes. It only took the dogs once to figure it out! lol :D It is also my primary diving off point into the pool for a lap.

What color is the travertine coping?
Thanks

Travertine - Scabos
Tile - Noble Tile NVNM 695 Despina
Plaster - Luna Quartz - Aruba
Ledger Stone - Golden White

I was hoping I could get a better photo for you but the weather is not working out lately, let me know if you want one and I'll look through my exisiting photos and see if I can dig something out.

Casey brings up a good point, during one of our previous pool designs we were very particular about where the tanning ledge was, where the steps were. During our final run here (different builder) we didn't concentrate on those details as much. Now that I can see what we have I am wondering why we didn't have that tanning ledge at the shallow end and fit some steps into the other side of the spa, seems very obvious now but it is amazing how you get side tracked during the design process. Probably best advice is the advice that is already out there, write everything down when you think of it, list out your priorities (Must Have, Nice To Have, or Luxury) and bring it to your pool builder, they will find a way to incorporate it if they want your business. Luckily we have some good swimmers in the group, I would worry about others coming over especially the little ones. Hopefully my TFP water chemistry will leave us with such water clarity that everybody will be able to see the ledge otherwise ...... :shock:

Yeah be careful, they might fall in the pool......

Crew showed up on Saturday and got a good bit of work done, the weather here in the Houston area has us slowed down a little. Ceiling went up for the patio extension, fire pit built, structure for the bathroom went up, and BBQ area structure and cement board is in. Paint crew is due to show up next week so we need to figure out what we are going to do with the new ceiling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will you be wrapping the patio supports with bricks like your others on the house?

I like how the ceiling looks how it is. Any reason you cannot just seal it?

Kim

Kim - Yes and no, we are going to wrap the posts in brick up a few feet, and then stain the rest with a dark stain (Jacobean). We wanted a smaller profile on the posts, also the ledge that's left should be an option for setting down a drink As for the ceiling, the pine does look good but we are leaning towards some shade of white to give it that Cape Cod beach feel (we are Yankee transplants) but are trying to figure out if we can get what we want and still match the house.

So progress has been slow, a lot of rain here in the Houston area and to be honest as a lot of you have probably experienced, the closer you get to the end of the build the slower it seems to go. May have something to do with the fact that the PB already has the majority of your money. For those of you working on new contracts keep this in mind and see what you can do about pushing out those progress payments. Here are some photos of where we stand, as you can see the rain has just about filled the pool, there were weep holes in the bottom but I'm guessing they have been clogged up. The major items left at this point more or less in this order, finish the kitchen area with tile and install appliances, install toilet and sink in bathroom, clean up yard, replace sod and sprinkler system (we will put landscaping in after we are completed), plaster and fill the pool. Here are the photos.

Getting close to the end. Kitchen just about completed, electrician was here today to install switches and outlets. Yesterday and today was the irrigation and sod crew, they still have some finish up work on Monday and then really all that is left is plaster and start up. It looks like rain in the forecast all next week so expectations are pretty low that we'll get anything done.

Everything looks wonderful!! The patios, kitchen, etc- all great! Well, except for that water color. I've heard about people who like green, but really??? I can't wait to see the water with the pool finish. Probably not half as much as you guys!

As far as the sun shelf goes, even with it in the shallow end, children who can't swim shouldn't be left alone or near the edge for even a second. Now if the supervising adult can't swim, then they need to play on the steps. But.... My feeling is that any child near water should be supervised by an adult who can swim.

One question... Either I missed it or couldn't see, but do you have some sort of tile trim on the sun shelf? If the finish hasn't been installed, could you still add a tile trim?

Congratulations! Ya'll are almost at your destination!! Take care. Suz.

I can't believe you aren't impressed with my pool water, I think that would be a nice little SLAM project for sure. Regarding the ledge yes it does have some trim. In general my opinion is that if you can't swim then I'd prefer you not be in my pool unattended. When it comes to kids I think the shallow end can be just as and possibly more dangerous than the deep end, I think adults and kids get a false sense of security at the shallow end.

Trim Photo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.