Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No rips but broken tabs on the grids do I need to replace it?

1. Back To Top    #1

No rips but broken tabs on the grids do I need to replace it?

I took my grids out to clean and noticed a lot of the supporting ribs are broken here and there as well as some tabs where the grids mate with the manifolds. Do they need to be replaced?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No rips but broken tabs on the grids do I need to replace it?

If any of the grids are physically broken I would say they definitely need to be replaced.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I figures I went ahead and ordered all new grids
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

yup. If grids are broken, the DE can blow through them and end up on bottom of the pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    That's what I figures I went ahead and ordered all new grids
    I don't know what your grid manufacturer or layout is, but mine was a bit of a jigsaw putting the new grids in. I took some photos before pulling the grid assy apart to help with reassembly. I was forewarned on this by a friend who decided just to pull his apart for a through cleaning, , and then had a devil of a job putting it back together.

6. Back To Top    #6

new grids in placed. I followed an online video and replaced all 8 grids in less than 45 minutes. I'm extremely glad I replaced them. There was no way my old grids were filtering properly.

For my 48 sq ft filter, the box said 4.5 lbs but I added 6lbs of DE because they were a little went from sitting outside. so I figure to compensate for wet weight. Right before I replaced the grids, and I was running at about 15 psi with very dirty grids. My filter normally run at 10 psi. With my new grids, my pressure gauge is maybe a couple PSI only. I assume this is normal?
    SF Bay

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    yup. If grids are broken, the DE can blow through them and end up on bottom of the pool.
    Maybe you can be more specific. My impression of the OP is that some of the supporting ribs are broken. I'm not a pool professional but here is my take:

They do not have any function related to keeping DE out of the pool, the cloth that covers them does. If the cloth is ripped then DE will escape. The ribs are designed to keep an optimum shape to the grid and enhance the filtering. If too many ribs are broken the filter may perform so poorly that the grids need replacement. In addition the misshapen grids may cause enough turbulence in the filter that it may cause a rib to puncture the cloth and then of course let DE into the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gstuartw View Post
    Maybe you can be more specific. My impression of the OP is that some of the supporting ribs are broken. I'm not a pool professional but here is my take:

They do not have any function related to keeping DE out of the pool, the cloth that covers them does. If the cloth is ripped then DE will escape. The ribs are designed to keep an optimum shape to the grid and enhance the filtering. If too many ribs are broken the filter may perform so poorly that the grids need replacement. In addition the misshapen grids may cause enough turbulence in the filter that it may cause a rib to puncture the cloth and then of course let DE into the pool.

I don't think the rib was my issue, the tabs where the grids matr with the top manifold was broken. Therefore, it couldn't create a seal. All the small particles, escapes and gets blown back into the pool causing my water to be cloudy. It only took a few hours before my pool cleared up with the new grids.
    SF Bay