Pool/Pump problems, very detailed, need help please.

Possible leak? or just evaporation.

I hate to ask but I need to know if I'm crazy or if I have a leak...

I haven't had to replace the water very much since I got my pool running properly and got my sun cover for my pool, now today I looked in after the pools been down for only two days, and I've lost at least 3/4 to an inch and a quarter of water... It was rather humid in the room as I turned off the HVR because I thought it wouldn't need it but with the cover on I don't think in that time I should have lost that much water, or am I crazy? I took the cover off and I can't see a tear anywhere and there's no water in my basement (yet) but I need to know what I should be looking for or am I crazy and that's a normal amount of water to lose when the water is stagnant? The cover isn't 100% coverage cut, I'd say it covers like 90~% of the pool.

After a closer inspection... I can see the liner is wavy in a couple of sections that I don't remember it being wavy in before, almost like it's lifted... But I also didn't really look at it in different angles before. If I just jump in to see, would you be able to tell if it's water or just something I missed originally?

I actually now think that this could be why my pump lost prime... Although it doesn't make sense in my head because after the pump kicked out the water level should have had a slight upsurge, not dropped... However, if the skimmer started sucking air the pump would have lost prime and cause the melt down, I just can't see how it would have lost enough water to drop when I used the cover and continuously checked the water level, we used it every day, I even remember topping it up on wednesday to half way between the skimmer top and bottom gap.... When the pump died, the water level should have risen...

As per post 171 in this thread here

Well I definitely have a leak, the bucket dropped about 1/16th of an inch, the outside of the bucket dropped about 1/4... So what's the next step to figure out if it's in the liner or in the pvc or what? It seems small but I don't want it to get worse either...

Well, look for any wet spots. You could let the water drain until it slows down and that can narrow down the leak location ... although if it gets very low there could be some risks.

Look for any wet spots where? (Sorry if I'm not thinking outside the box, I just don't understand what you mean) It's an indoor / in ground pool so visually, (in my head) aside from draining the pool and replacing the liner I'm not sure how I could tell. All of the drains are under concrete so there's no way to check that either. If I drain the pool I can shrink the liner, correct? I basically need to figure out if the liner is where the problem is or if it's the drains because if it's the drains I would need some extra advice on how to fix that...

Yeah ..wet spots for an IG indoor pool is going to be a little tough :lol:
I saw vinyl in the sig and immediately though AG outdoor :hammer:

Well, you might just have to let it drain and see if is stops at some point. If it happens to stop just below the skimmer ... then that is where to look. If it happens to stop midway up a light fixture, then that is where to look.

I uploaded a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNWxrHlXmg

So basically just let it drain until it stops and it's gotta be there hey lol... Rather unfortunate circumstance yet again, this house is full of surprises... Although, now that you say that... When we moved in, the water was literally right below the light fixture... Actually, yesterday when I hit on the ground beside it there was an air bubble that came out of it...(Don't ask why I did it, I'm not sure) So I'm going to say that's where the problem lies. (Why elses would there be air there. :/ How would one go about fixing that? Would there be a way to fix it before I let the pool drop to that point, I just spent 120$ this last month filling it up to where it needs to be lol...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would still need to wait for it to drop past the light right? I don't have a waterproof flashlight nor the die or a scuba set that I've seen in any of these "leak detection" videos lol.... Blah... I really hope I can fix this. D:

If the leak was in the liner, it would be rather simple to detect, would it not?

I'm trying to understand where the water would be going when the entire thing is enclosed... My thought on a "leak" is that if it was in the liner, the liner would be lifting, if it was in the plumbing it would be leaking in to my house...

and it's not like the leak is small, 1/4 inch of water loss in 24 hours is quite abit imo, indoors anyways.

So I'd like to thank everyone for all the help, made some huge progress! Pool is finally as complete as I can make it right now, got the new pump all plumbed in (pictures included) , pool room is all tidied up, pool is balanced, unfortunately I had to hire someone to find the leak and it turns out it's in the cover for the niche, water epoxy will do the trick to solve it for now, until I replace the liner which i know has to be replaced anyways. This pump definitely moves a lot less water than the little, although I can't say that's a bad thing overall but I'm curious how vacuuming will go now (will test in the next couple of days once the pool warms back up lol), the slow speed the water looks stagnant almost haha, I'm sure you don't need it to be moving much though to circulate. And it does put a lot less pressure on the sand filter, it's down to 18psi vs 24, nothing crazy but better none the less.

Got my AirExchanger fixed.

My CYA is 30~ now, my FC is 4~, I found a place to get R-0003 (and all other reagents) locally, it's like 38$ a bottle but if i'm just picking up odds and ends I feel like it'll be cheaper than ordering it.

Now I just need to replace the liner, get a new pump for my SPA, Epoxy some problems in the SPA, make sure there is no leak, I want to replace that flex pipe that the guy installed (makes it look sloppy), and I'd like a better heat exchanger but from what I can tell they aren't cheap haha, I also need to replace a o-ring on a valve at the slide, it leaks so it's always "on" and it's starting to leave a stain on the slide.. Also need to figure out how to get this timer working properly, I have found both clips while cleaning so it should work in theory. :D

Hey guys, been awhile. Pool was running fine for the last 8 months or so, run the pump most of the time on low 24/7 because the pool would get cool otherwise (-20C here atm) but the reason I'm posting is somethign weird is going on... I have been monitoring my pool for the last 8 months, it's always pretty close to the same, especially when nobody is using it, I just check it once a week and adjust it as required, today I went to test it and there was 0 chlorine and the ph is below 7, what would cause this? In the 8 months we've been going hard now or whatever, never ran in to this..

Edit : I do apologize, just saw jbizzle post about my kits, I believe I got it from Commercial Pool and Spa Testing Products from Taylor Technologies , however they don't sell the stuff I asked for the consumers, I had to pull her leg off to get her to send me what I needed because it was three times the price to get it from places she recommended (places she sold it to in Alberta) here, blew my mind.

Edit 2 : Is swimming in sub 7.0 good? Working on the chlorine now

Edit 3 : So I added a bunch of bleach, bumped up my chlorine to a 3.0 and now my ph says above 8.0 -_- I don't understand lol, working on lowering it and bumping up my chlorine to a 4.0 but I've never had such craziness, maybe i did something wrong the first time out of grabbing the wrong thing by habbit..

+1 on full set of numbers after everything is stabilized.

No, not good to swim with PH below 7. Especially since most PH tests don't actually measure below 7.

It is safe to swim when
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Chlorine is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA level, Chlorine CYA Chart
Water is clear

The pool ALWAYS looks clear, even when chlorine was 0~, same as the picture just above these posts... I've got my ph @ 7.4 right now and chlorine @ 4, my CYA is below 30, it's honestly so low I can't test but if you go through these posts a couple of the mods recommended 4for chlorine, I'll get a full range of tests tomorrow. The pool never really changes, has a good full cover and the pump is always circulating

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.