Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spa blower

1. Back To Top    #1

spa blower

Im looking in to purchasing a spa blower. The venturi works as long as I blow into the vent to get it going. It's fine once it gets going, just have to blow real hard a few times into the vent to get it going.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Pete
    26,000 gallons, IG, plaster, Pentair 4000 series D.E. filter
    Pentair whisperflo hi perf. pump (booster)
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump
    iAquaLink 2.0 w/ Zodiac Remote, Built November 2014
    Jandy WaterColors Color-Changing LED Pool Lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: spa blower

Before making recommendations, it would be a good idea to review the entire setup.

Is the Whisperflo dedicated to the spa jets without going through the filter or heater?

What is the jet pump size, jet pipe size, number of jets and distance from the pump to the spa?

Also, does the air vent pipe come up at the equipment pad or some place else?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Just so you don't overlook the obvious...are you SURE you want a spa blower? We had one installed and find out it kicks up more bubbles than we care for and have only used it once. Granted, our pool is only three weeks old...but the blower (Silencer) is also a bit loud for our preference and takes away from that peaceful spa experience.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

4. Back To Top    #4

pool1.jpg
    8 jets and the spa is roughly 40-50 ft. from pool. Booster pump
    is dedicated to the spa without going thru filter or htr.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pump size and pipe size both water and air?

Have the Jets ever worked properly?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

ITR, No Im not sure. But I think I need one due to the fact I need to blow in the vent real hard a few times to get the bubbles flowing. Im sure or hope there are blowers out their that are not too loud.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw8ZAzzwxVI

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by petedog85 View Post
    ITR, No Im not sure. But I think I need one due to the fact I need to blow in the vent real hard a few times to get the bubbles flowing. Im sure or hope there are blowers out their that are not too loud.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw8ZAzzwxVI
    That one doesn't sound too much different than mine, I guess it depends on how far it is away from your spa (and your neighbor's house). Mine is about 10 feet from the neighbor's house and while she didn't complain the two times we used it...I probably would have if I was her. When I turn on the filter pump (on high) my spa jets flow and I get a good amount of bubbles/flow just from that. Does yours not do that?
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

8. Back To Top    #8

The pipe looks to be 2" which is way too small for 8 jets at 50ft away. You are likely not getting enough flow rate to the jets for the venturis to work properly. Do the jets seem weak? If the PB had used larger pipe, you might be able to get away without a blower. What size is the jet pump (i.e. model number WF##)?
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

That a great point, Mark. I have only five jets and I believe my piping is 3 or 3 1/2 inches and only about 20 feet from the spa.
    ----

10. Back To Top    #10

Well it's a 2HP pump and if you look at the pic above, the discharge is 2" and then steps up to 2 1/2" before it goes into the ground.

11. Back To Top    #11

Both suction and return are 2.5"?

What about the size of the air vent?

Is that a 2 HP up rated or full rated? (What is the model #)

Typical spa jets require 15 GPM per jet to work well. That is a total of 120 GPM which a 2 HP pump is not likely to provide. Also, the 2.5" pipe is not large enough for 120 GPM either. My suggesting is to plug 2 of the 8 jets to reduce the flow rate requirements and to provide more flow per jet and see if that works.

A blower is going to only supply air which makes a lot of bubbles but does nothing for the strength of the jet.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, both suction and disch. are 2.5"
    Air vent is 2.5"
    pump model # is WFE-8

Im going to put a plumbers plug in 2 of the jets tomorrow and see what happens.

13. Back To Top    #13

Keep in mind that you cannot plug the outer portion of the jet pipe. That will flood the vent pipe so it will affect the bubbles. You need to actually plug the jet nozzle itself.
    Mark