Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Montgomery Co., MD

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Montgomery Co., MD

Hey TFP,

I'm closing on my first home at the end of January and it comes with a pool. My wife or I have never really been exposed to home pools and I think this site is going to help us get going on the right foot. I love to figure out how things work and to spend my time and efforts maintaining them. I work on my car, build my own servers, etc, so the pool hobby might be right up my alley!

I don't know much about the pool except for some dimensions I got from Google Earth and so pictures of the equipment I took during the home inspection. The current owner has done all the water maintenance himself and I am unsure of his methodology. I'm certainly going to get the TP-100 and check out the water. I've also been told it has been re-plastered recently.

We placed a post-close pool inspection contingency in the contract. We need to have the pool professionally opened and evaluated by a pool company or pool inspector by May 31st. I've seen some members of site from my area (including an admin), so I hope someone could throw me a referral.

Of course, after I move in, I'd be happy to invite anyone over to talk pools and show me the ropes. Just throw me a PM if you are interested.

EDIT: I added photos in Post #6
    Last edited by fields_g; 12-28-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Mentioned Pictures in post #6
    Pool: 40x15ft "Mt. Lake" shaped plaster IG (30k gallons with Borates)
    SWG: Circupool Si-45
    Pumps: Hayward MaxFlo VS (SP2302VSP) + Booster Pump for Polaris 180
    Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA-60D (Sand)
    Test Kit: TF-100 (with Speed Stir)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Montgomery Co., MD

Welcome to TFP !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum

Guess we'll be hearing lots from you around opening day
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,
    Welcome to TFP. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be glad to answer them to our best ability.

In the meantime, if you haven't already discovered, the articles in POOL SCHOOL contain heaps of information about owning and maintaining a swimming pool.
    Just click the big button at the top right of the page. I is more than worthwhile to start with the ABC's ......

We look forward to seeing pics too!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

You are off to a wonderful start by finding TFP and getting a good test kit!

Let us know how we can help when you get into the house.

For right now start reading http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

It is a lot to take in but once you start doing your tests it all start to sink in.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I've read pretty much all the Pool School info already and will read through again several more times.

As for pictures... Here are a couple from my flickr page. They were part of the house listing. We like how the pool is situated on the side of the house. We have a 2 month old and can put up a fence between the pool and the rest of the backyard (and I don't mean that wire fence pulled to the side in the 2nd picture).

Looks like I'll be cleaning the decking as I'm getting the pool ready. Would a pressure washer be a good option for that surface?

7. Back To Top    #7

Really nice looking pool and house ! Congrats on your purchase.
    Yep a pressure washer would be great to clean up the decking.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

PRETTY! I can see how that is going to work out great with having a little one.

Thanks for sharing the pics. That water looks great. You say he has been taking care of it on his own. I wonder if he was a member here?

It will be interesting to see what your first test shows.

Power washer all the way! A blower for the stuff in the pretty rocks beside the pool. It will be a learning curve for you to figure out how to blow the stuff out of the rocks AND not get it into the pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Those pictures may be pretty, but it's winterized state is not so picturesque. I pulled two more out of the appraisal and inspection reports. I can't wait until I get my hands on this!

10. Back To Top    #10

Good thing the pics for showing were of before! WOW!

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

Where in Rockville? I grew up in Twinbrook!

Pool looks great. I would get a better winter cover at some point, especially with a toddler. Loop lock or some other such safety cover.

All in all, you are off to a potentially great start.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

12. Back To Top    #12

I currently walk to the Twinbrook metro station for my commute to DC every day! This house is east of Rockville close to Norbeck road.

I completely agree that it needs to be covered differently. I'll have to look into my options. I've seen some pretty nice covers with anchors in the decking. Any idea how difficult these are these to add? Do the threads get dirty or are there some sort of summer plugs to keep them clean? To say the least, it would greatly improve the off-season aesthetics.

13. Back To Top    #13

Here's a picture of a typical pop up anchor used for a winter cover. When it's not in use it just screws back down.
    Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

Ah... I see even better than screw-in anchors I was imagining. Thanks!

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, east of Rockville Norbeck Rd. When I was growing up that is where we said the richeople lived. Flower Valley and Manor Country Club. Small world. Graduated from Rockville HS - good memories of growing up in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by fields_g View Post
    I currently walk to the Twinbrook metro station for my commute to DC every day! This house is east of Rockville close to Norbeck road.

I completely agree that it needs to be covered differently. I'll have to look into my options. I've seen some pretty nice covers with anchors in the decking. Any idea how difficult these are these to add? Do the threads get dirty or are there some sort of summer plugs to keep them clean? To say the least, it would greatly improve the off-season aesthetics.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

16. Back To Top    #16

It's been a couple of months, and I'm now in the house. The pool still looked like post #9, until the snow came. It's very white and icy, but starting to melt. I still need to get the pool inspected by the 31st of May. If anyone has a referral for someone in the Montgomery County, MD area, please let me know!

Also, I'm about to purchase the TF-100 kit. Any suggestions for the additional options? I will get the speed stir. I'm sure you should use the reagents in a certain timeline, so I don't want to overpurchase. Since this is my first year, I am not going to consider converting to saltwater, perhaps next year though. Borates don't sound like a bad idea though.

Garrett

17. Back To Top    #17

Do you have ANY idea what the water looks like? IF it is green you will need the XL to help you do a SLAM. If it is clear or close to clear you should be okay with the regular size.

Good luck!

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

No idea. Today is going to be another heavy melt day. I'm getting home late tonight. I might have an opportunity to peek tomorrow evening, depending on continued good weather.

Garrett

19. Back To Top    #19

You know what? Just go for the XL. You will use the stuff over time if you do not need it all right now. Better safe than sorry.

Kim