Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any one know anything about these solar panels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any one know anything about these solar panels?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any one know anything about these solar panels?

Exactly what do you need to know? I can't tell you manufacture or part# but it shouldn't matter anyway. Most panels work pretty much the same.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess the main thing is how the efficiency compares to plastic panels. I can't even tell what the collector surface is made of (aluminum? I have never seen panels of this design). The seller doesn't seem to know much except that they are "quality brand" and in good condition. I am trying to get as much info as I can before I make the drive up to see them.

4. Back To Top    #4

They don't appear to have glass which would change the efficiency characteristics so they should not be too different than standard panels. But it isn't very clear how they are fed. Do the panels have a header? If so, what size?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah I couldn't tell if they had a glazing or not, I asked the seller and they said I should come look at them lol

6. Back To Top    #6

About the only downside I can see is that the headers appear to be pretty small which will restriction flow some.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

There will be two racks of 4 each, I could run them in parallel?

I guess the blue coating they have is suppose to be better than black somehow?

8. Back To Top    #8

All the panels should be run in parallel but having multiple supply/return lines is not a bad idea either which is what I think you meant.

Also, I doubt any coating is going to have much of an effect one way or the other.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

So they are plastic, I like the design, especially since I need to rack mount. But I am pretty wary of buying plastic panels of unknown age.

10. Back To Top    #10

I ended up buying them. They should be perfect for my application (assuming they don't leak).

The collector surface is totally flat, imagine a bunch of square tubes next to each other except its all one piece. the backside has fiberglass sheeting for insulation which is good because these will be propped up on a flat roof. they will also be much easier to mount than standard plastic panels. I have 8 4x10 for a 13,000 gallon pool