Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sodium ions accumulate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sodium ions accumulate?

So, I have a related question: in a fresh water pool, where sodium hypochlorite is added periodically, do the sodium ions accumulate over time or go somewhere?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What happens to the Na+ ions

This makes me wonder now......what are my Sodium Ions doing out there in that cold water.

I think I'll go check on them today.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What happens to the Na+ ions

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeswimmin View Post
    So, I have a related question: in a fresh water pool, where sodium hypochlorite is added periodically, do the sodium ions accumulate over time or go somewhere?
    Welcome to TFP!

The sodium ions accumulate and when the chlorine is used/consumed including being broken down by sunlight, that produces chloride ions and they accumulate as well. So what accumulates is sodium chloride salt. The water becomes saltier over time and is only reduced in concentration by water dilution/replacement. More technical details are in this post.

So when manually dosing with chlorine, there is an accumulation of sodium chloride salt. When using a saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG), there is no such accumulation because the sodium ions don't participate in the reactions and the chloride ion that becomes chlorine in an SWCG reverts back to chloride ion again when the chlorine is used/consumed.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"