New Pool Construction Project in Houston: 2nd Time is a Charm

This may be a dumb question, but I don't know, so it's relevant to me. Are those just poured stepping stones, or is there a sidewalk underneath with those stones raised and dirt put in between?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are those just poured stepping stones, or is there a sidewalk underneath with those stones raised and dirt put in between?

There is nothing underneath the stones; they were poured on top of the ground. They are made from fiber-reinforced 5000psi concrete, and they are about 6" thick. They poured an extra one behind my pool and told me I could move it wherever I wanted. Of course, this is the one I stepped on before it was cured. With the Size 46 Ecco footprint in it, I won't be displaying it anywhere where it can be easily seen. :grrrr:

Looks like Two Labs gets the Under and Jay gets the Over. The floating sidewalk is yet another unique design idea. Well, if you ever felt it was worth it to you, I know how to get footprints out of concrete decking finishes.... Everything continues to look so well coordinated - hopefully plaster is very, very soon.

There is nothing underneath the stones; they were poured on top of the ground. They are made from fiber-reinforced 5000psi concrete, and they are about 6" thick. They poured an extra one behind my pool and told me I could move it wherever I wanted. Of course, this is the one I stepped on before it was cured. With the Size 46 Ecco footprint in it, I won't be displaying it anywhere where it can be easily seen. :grrrr:

Size 46, and you're in Texas. What am I missing?

I didn't realize they were that thick. That's pretty cool. In my area, floating sidewalk is typically a trashy 2 inch maximum exposed aggregate square piece of trash that will crack within the first two seasons. I like yours much better. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ya guys caught me. Ecco are European shoes, so they come in Euro sizes. There is a 46 on the bottom of my shoe. I changed the text when I realized that you could actually see the imprint of my shoe size in the concrete. Wanna stay factually correct and all.

46 is the new 12.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More progress. Yesterday (yes, Thanksgiving) the irrigation repair guys showed up and got me all back together. I was too busy cooking then eating then cleaning up then eating again and drinking to bother with the camera. Besides, it's probably not good show-n-tell style to show some guys digging holes in my yard.

If the weather holds and if the cleanup crew shows up on time and if there are no major punch-list items....we're looking at plaster before next week has passed us by. Fingers crossed....

When I look at your pool I think of the Flintstones. I don't know why, but its really cool.

Yaaaabadabadoooooo!!!
15287829434_ce0742643a_s.jpg

Yesterday morning, we loaded the family into the SUV and headed up to the tree farm and chopped down a 10' monster spruce. By the time we got home, the pool deck had been power-washed and cleaned up.

Irrigation is repaired.

Now I'm just waiting (tick....tick....tick....tick...) for PB to come and clean up construction debris and grade the back yard so I can decide if if the grass will grow back in over the winter or if I need to bring in a few pallets of sod.

Oh yeah....most important part (according to the Mrs.): Need to schedule the gardner to bring in the palms.

Ok....let's set the over/under on plaster to be Friday. Any takers?

Last question: Does anybody have any experience with natural gas tiki torches? My wife wanted to put fire in the waterfall slide, but we couldn't really find a reliable way to do this with a saltwater pool. Instead, I'm going to run gas lines and put up half a dozen tikis around the pool, but I'm not sure where to begin. Do any brands/types work better than others?

I'm reminded of an old joke:

A parachutist jumped from an airplane, free fell for awhile and then pulled the ripcord. Nothing happened so he pulled the cord for the backup chute. Again nothing happened. Calmly accepting his fate he decided to appreciate his final moments and gazed out on the world below. As he fell he noticed a small dot approaching and realized it was a person soaring skyward. As he neared the sky bound fellow he yelled to him; "Hey, do you know anything about parachutes?" and as the two passed the response he heard was; "No, do you know anything about how to light gas tiki torches?"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.