Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Infrared alarms

1. Back To Top    #1

Walpole, MA

Infrared alarms

Does anyone know of or have experience with an infrared alarm. Thinking of something that would stand at each corner of your pool deck and emit an infrared beam that when broken would sound the alarm?
    18ft/40ft, 29,600 Gallons, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump (HP1), Hayward CL220 Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Infrared alamrs?

It is an alarm industry product. Something like this.

Usually it is tied into a an alarm system but someone could probably come up with another way to control it.

I have PE beams in a large garage I keep my camper in. They will trip from almost any object crossing the beam. In an exterior application I would assume that insects getting inside and crawling across the sensor would look like elephants dancing on the pool deck to the sensor.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Sounds interesting. We all probably have the infrared things on our garage doors and I can tell you that on mine sometimes in the morning the sun hits it just right and the door won't close because the beam is not connecting to the other side due to the sun light. Could be an issue sometimes outside.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Paul, sounds like you need to cut open an aluminum can and make a little shield around your sensor to shield it from sunlight coming in.
    Another way to do the pool would be to use motion sensor lights as their sensitivity is usually adjustable. You wouldn't necessarily need the lights but can use the sensor to trip the alarm in conjunction with the lights or in place of them. When the sensor trips you'd have power on the neutral side of the sensor and can use that to power a 120 volt alarm of some sort.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!