Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on tarp please

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on tarp please

Hey y'all,

Could I get some suggestions/opinions on what kind of tarp & water bags are good and economical and where to get them? I have an 18' x 36' inground in Mississippi. Thanks!!!
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Advice on tarp please

My advice don't do it. Get a cover that is anchored, much safer for you and your family pets too.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm afraid to use anchors because my cement around the pool is cracked on the four corners already & don't want to make it worse.
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks Could I get any advice on tarps and anchors. Do the anchors have to go in the cement or can I run them to the grass surrounding the area?

5. Back To Top    #5

The only anchors I have seen used are the brass ones that you install in a hole drilled in the concrete.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Some companies offer longer anchors for pavers. They are about a foot long if I remember correctly and are meant to be driven into the ground. If you choose to do that, I'd increase the size of the cover. Otherwise, the straps between the cover and the anchor may not be long enough.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jhkh View Post
    Ok thanks Could I get any advice on tarps and anchors. Do the anchors have to go in the cement or can I run them to the grass surrounding the area?
    This is what I am searching for. I think I am ready to upgrade from the 5 year old $80 tarp and water bags. Looking at the safety covers and it is hard for me to justify the huge jump in cost. Clearly there is not a better return than an $80 job, but was hoping for some aesthetic improvements, better safety, and easier install.

All that said, since I have a 2ft concrete border to my rectangular pool, why would I stop short of the edge and drill in brass anchors? I have a 4in lip on the edge of the concrete that would seem perfect for an anchor to grip... are there cover/anchor setups like that?
    20,000 Gal Vinyl In-ground | Hayward Sandfilter | 1.5HP Hayward Superpump | Polaris 165 (Turtle for In-Ground)

Liquid 8.25% Bleach: 64oz for $1.39 | South Carolina Heat | Borates: ~50ppm | CYA: ~35ppm