Florida New Build - Pool, Spa, Fireplace

Shotcrete is fully mixed (premix) wet concerete applied as a spray. Gunite is a "dry" mixture that has water injected at the gun during application. Applied properly, there is no significant difference in the end result of the two different mixes. As you correctly noted, gunite needs to be kept moist as it cures whereas shotcrete was applied wet and cures as it dries.

Just out of curiosity, do the pines by you develop deep taproots? If so, did the excavation crew have to dig really deep to get it out, or was the trunk not in the way of the pool dig area? I have taken down about 4 mature longleafs in my yard, ranging from 16-18'' in diameter. I have another 16'' one that will have to go when I do my pool build, it is in the way of where the screen enclosure footer will go. I still have about a dozen more, they are so common in the part of FL I am in.

Talking to pool builders, one told me that he had to excavate 16' down to pull a pine taproot out of where the pool was going to go. He then backfilled with gravel to the appropriate depth the pool pit needed to be.

I've done small dig outs on the ones I've cut to about 5' down, and they don't get any thinner around the trunk. The laterals roots, tend to stop offshooting off the taproot at 2-3 ft down however. I've just cut the taproots with a chainsaw off at about 4-5 ft down, and backfilled, but obviously you would want a full taproot extraction for an in-ground pool construction.

Not trying to go off topic, but this really only seems to be a FL problem with the really deep pine taproots. Other members on here have commented on that, in other states, the taproots only tend to grow 5' down below grade.

Everything looks awesome with the shotcrete shoot, all of the pool builders around me all do gunite. Gunite has other issues not mentioned here, such as rebound. This is all supposed to be discarded, per code, but some shoddy builders use it anyway if they think they can get away with it.

Just out of curiosity, do the pines by you develop deep taproots? If so, did the excavation crew have to dig really deep to get it out, or was the trunk not in the way of the pool dig area? I have taken down about 4 mature longleafs in my yard, ranging from 16-18'' in diameter. I have another 16'' one that will have to go when I do my pool build, it is in the way of where the screen enclosure footer will go. I still have about a dozen more, they are so common in the part of FL I am in.

Talking to pool builders, one told me that he had to excavate 16' down to pull a pine taproot out of where the pool was going to go. He then backfilled with gravel to the appropriate depth the pool pit needed to be.

Great question. We're in N.FL but on an island, so we may not get some of the dramatic tap roots that they do along I-10 corridor.

We were only responsible for the tree removal and stump grinding. (After arborist certification that the tree had a limited crown.) We were not responsible for the dig out or roots. For us, the location of the tree really helped, because the pool itself is not directly where the tree was standing. Instead, our decking is over the old tree location, so the tap root was not a major concern.

The branching roots of this pine (60', 23" diameter) are themselves about 10" or more in diameter. They removed them during the excavation as needed when they impacted the project area.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think I would feel comfortable with multi-layer compacted gravel to replace the tap root. I say multi / compacted as most of those areas have had significantly different loads over the previous 20+ years. I'm a bit paranoid about fill. If a builder has experience with the excavation, I think that would be a plus in this situation.

Shotcrete is fully mixed (premix) wet concerete applied as a spray. Gunite is a "dry" mixture that has water injected at the gun during application. Applied properly, there is no significant difference in the end result of the two different mixes. As you correctly noted, gunite needs to be kept moist as it cures whereas shotcrete was applied wet and cures as it dries.

Just curious if this was told to you by the shotcrete company? When I was researching curing my gunite pool, everything I came across said that all concrete must be moist cured to obtain proper compressive strength, as concrete is concrete.

For example from the american shotcrete association:

Question 55:

We are having a swimming pool built with shotcrete. Our question is, what is the required curing time for shotcrete prior to exposure to heavy rain? We are trying to plan the shotcrete installation when the weather looks most favorable.

Answer:

Shotcrete needs to be protected from rain until it obtains its final set, usually 4 or 5 hours. Following final set, it should be wet cured for at least 4 days, preferably 7 days if possible. The exposure to rain would prove beneficial as the rain would assure the presence of moisture for continued curing.

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, as I'm sure you're pool will be fine. I just know that these forums are major source of research for current a future pool owners.

Regardless, your pool is looking awesome! Can't wait to see it develop!

Just curious if this was told to you by the shotcrete company?

Yes, specifically told by the PB and the shotcrete sub (I specifically asked them separately because of all that I have seen on TFP). I don't know if it has something to do with the humidity on the island or the mix they use, but we were told (twice) that it does not need to be watered or even misted. :scratch:

I'm still tempted to hose it down (can't hurt, right?) but I don't want to run afoul of the PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If only I had a nickel for every time PB or a sub told me something that ended up not being true ...

If you've ever watched "curb your enthusiasm"... that look Larry David gives you when he is skeptical about what you are saying. That's the look on my face permanently whenever having a discussion with anyone in the pool building business.

@Zethacat - Man... I even have that look in my driver's license photo. :D

On the watering subject, just had a call with PB owner to discuss. He said we can do it if we want, won't hurt, but the humidity, mix, and temp at which it was applied means that it's not necessary. We are applying pebble to it, rather than plaster, so they are not concerned about any cracking in the shell. We have a lifetime warranty, so... he stands to lose more than we do, I suppose.

While I'm on here, I don't recall if I shared this glass tile that we're doing for the waterline. We love it.

Alttoglass Miscelanea Olimpia Glass Mosaic

4BAd2Iw.jpg

Wow! That glass is beautiful! I've never seen anything like it before, I bet it will look incredible. We really wanted to go with glass tile in the beginning but just didn't think it went with our flagstone/freeform pool with the waterfalls. If I had a rectangular shape pool with the travertine deck that you're doing, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Well I'm sure your shell will be fine. You guys do have incredible humidity so maybe that has something to do with them telling you it doesn't need to be watered, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. When our waterfall was shot in gunite I asked my PB and he said, "Nahhhh...don't worry about it. We only really worry about it when it is really hot." Well, I watered it anyway! Never can be too careful.

And congrats on the win last night, it was a close one!

Thanks. For whatever reason, we've "got them right where we want them" when the other team is up 2-3 scores. :rant:

The waterline tile is just crazy beautiful. My wife has an eye for those things, especially upgrades. :)

We're using a canvas colored grout to accent the tile and not draw away from the Leuder or Travertine. The end result - we hope - will be a great little pop of color.

10'' Roots are huge, 23'' trunk diameter is huge. My biggest pines are 60' as well, but 18-19'' diameter at most around the trunk.

FWIW, in Hernando County where I am at, trees of 26''+ diameter require permit for removal. Most of the pines around here don't seem to get past 20'' diameter. Most of the really big stuff is old oaks and sweet gums. However, I do understand your arborist's point of view, and fortunately, you did not run into problems removing your pine.

That tile is beautiful, can't wait to see it on the pool. The humidity here in FL is totally different than out west. Here, 95-98 degrees at 100% humidity can make people who aren't used to working outdoors faint real quick. It's not uncommon for those working outdoors to drink upwards of a gallon of water a day.

Those tiles really look beautiful. Can't wait to see them on the pool.

Quick update... Walnut Travertine coping & pavers (for french pattern) were delivered today in great condition. A huge thank you to Gina & the TravertineMart team. They were great to work with. I can't wait to see them installed! I need to get some photos posted of the plumbing and electrical. It's a busy process!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.