Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solid or Mesh Pool Cover

1. Back To Top    #1
    Elizabethton, TN

Solid or Mesh Pool Cover

As listed below, I have a 20' x 40' in-ground pool and need to buy a cover. What are the benefits or problems with both a solid cover and a mesh cover?

Thanks in advance
    32,900 Gallon; 20' x 40' In-Ground, Vinyl
    Sand, Hayward SP714, 1.5 HP Hayward SP2610X15,
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solid or Mesh Pool Cover

Since my pool stays open year-round, I have no need of a winter cover.

But my previous pool was in New England and I had a LoopLoc mesh type cover. I loved it. It looked great, no water collects on it, leaves blow right off. Some debris filters through it, but using a pool cleaner or manual vacuum and a day or two with the filter up and running had the water clear and sparkling again with minimal effort.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Northern Virginia

Re: Solid or Mesh Pool Cover

I have a loop loc. Solid keeps everything out of the pool and water will accumulate on top. You will need a cover pump to keep the water off of it. Solid with mesh drains has some mesh panels to allow rain/snow melt to drip into your pool. The level will slowly rise over time so you have to maintain the water level. I put an automatic sump pump on my step to keep the water level in check. All mesh allows more light and stuff into the pool- could be an issue with algae. My dealer recommended the solid with mesh drains and it works great for me.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool