Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar pool heater(panels) and pump help!

1. Back To Top    #1

solar pool heater(panels) and pump help!

Hi all!
    I plan to buy solar heat panels for next season.I dabbled a bit with the pvc pipe but I feel I'll get a better bang for my buck with an inexpensive solar panel system to heat my 15'x 42" intex pool.
    I ll be running them on the roof of my house,approx 70 ft including a 10 ft lift( bungalow)
    I'll also require a half decent pump too.
    Any ideas?
    What size pipe should I use to run the 70 ft. The distance includes the lift up on the roof.
    We have a large backyard with tons of South sun. I live just north of Toronto.
    Thinking of the 2x20 or 4 x 20 type.
    Thank you in advance
    Tim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar pool heater(panels) and pump help!

A 3/4 or 1 hp pump will be needed to accomplish the solar goal, I think. 1-1/2" (40mm) pipe should be adequate for the plumbing.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Charlie!
    Any thoughts on an inexpensive solar system. The amazon 2 or 4 by 20 type?
    Thank you

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the surface area of your pool?

You would need about half that to get any meaningful heat into your pool. My guess would be to try a pair of 4x20 to start with. A little is better than none........
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm thinking of purchasing an 18 x 9 rectangle Intex pool.I think 4500 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

18x9 gives you a surface area of 162 sq ft. So you would need at least 81 sq ft of solar panel.

Search around the forum, there are many who have solar heat. Perhaps that would give you a few good ideas for where and how to install.

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do Charlie thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

I suggest purchasing the panels from costco. Comes with straps and a diverter valve. I purchased mine from costco a month ago but just returned it and replaced with a heat pump also purchased from costco.
    12' Intex Metal Frame Pool, 1500 gallons, Intex 2800gph Sand filter/pump, AquaPro PRO1100 HP, K-2006 Test Kit