Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First pool under construction. Please provide some help! Marietta GA

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool under construction. Please provide some help! Marietta GA

We have just began the construction of our first pool. I wish I could of found this site prior to starting the process. I live on a very steep lot, so I had a hard time finding reasonable quotes. The good thing is I still have time to make changes to my equipment. Please take a look of what I have and answer a few questions for me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Gunite pool/spa combo
    spa will be level with pool deck
    perimeter of 89 about 97 with spa
    34 x 19 free form
    area 505
    3-5 1/2 deep
    Travertine coping
    AquaPure salt system
    Pebble stone finish
    Jandy flopro pump 2hp dual speed - one pump will run pool and spa
    Jandy JS sand filter 30"
    1 Jandy led color pool light
    Jandy 250k gas heater
    Polaris 280 pressure cleaner
    400 sqft of pool decking Belgard Lafitt pavers ( will be adding 500 more on my own. (i didn't want to pay the price to have them do it)

1- The price as of now is right at 50k. Is that a good price for what I'm getting?
    2- Should I pay 400.00 to add a light to the spa?
    3- What is everyone thoughts on the equipment? Should I upgrade anything?
    4- I would like to ad some automation down the line, what should i change now to make that process easier?
    5- They dug my pool on Friday and put rebar in of Sunday. What they have done so far looks very good and professional. Should I be concerned that I haven't seen them all week?
    6- Please provide any general ideas or thoughts on the project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool under construction. Please provide some help! Marietta GA

Welcome to TFP!!!

No idea as far as price comparison.
    Your equipment looks reasonable. A 2-speed pump is a good choice and a nice big filter.
    A bigger heater will heat the spa faster (still use same amount of gas), if your pipes will support it ... although looks like a pretty small spa.

I did not get a light in spa at previous house ... personally do not see it as needed.

You must also have a booster pump for that pressure cleaner. I would reconsider that so you do not need 2 pumps on to have the cleaner running.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

No idea as far as price comparison.
    Your equipment looks reasonable. A 2-speed pump is a good choice and a nice big filter.
    A bigger heater will heat the spa faster (still use same amount of gas), if your pipes will support it ... although looks like a pretty small spa.

I did not get a light in spa at previous house ... personally do not see it as needed.

You must also have a booster pump for that pressure cleaner. I would reconsider that so you do not need 2 pumps on to have the cleaner running.
    thanks for the advice

4. Back To Top    #4

For what it's worth. I do have a Spa light and like it. It has snap on color filters (red, blue, green) that you can use to add some "mood" when using it at night.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    For what it's worth. I do have a Spa light and like it. It has snap on color filters (red, blue, green) that you can use to add some "mood" when using it at night.
    Do you keep it on when you in at night? I was worrying about bugs.

6. Back To Top    #6

IMHO the more light the better. Much harder to do later and no we do not have any more bugs because of our spa light.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

7. Back To Top    #7

Make sure all of the valves used are neverlube, Jandy valves. Thy can be automated later if you want to.
    You can't automate ball valves which a lot of PB' use.

Thats a very nice looking dig too. Everything is nice and neat and straight. Very nice indeed.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Make sure all of the valves used are neverlube, Jandy valves. Thy can be automated later if you want to.
    You can't automate ball valves which a lot of PB' use.

Thats a very nice looking dig too. Everything is nice and neat and straight. Very nice indeed.
    Thanks, that's the exact type of advice I'm looking for.

9. Back To Top    #9

Our light definitely attracts bugs in DFW. It stays off mostly.

10. Back To Top    #10

I haven't seen the pool crew since Sunday. Should I be worried.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

They need to pump it out and add some dobys (spacers). It should be ok.

Prices of pools vary wildly across the country so the only way to compare prices is to get several local bids
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

12. Back To Top    #12

That's one of the better prep/digs I have seen. Good luck!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

13. Back To Top    #13

1- The price as of now is right at 50k. Is that a good price for what I'm getting?
    Looks fair to me.

Personally I would. A second one in the pool as well.

I like that they selected a 2 speed - good choice

4- I would like to ad some automation down the line, what should i change now to make that process easier?
    Make sure the valves are Jandy Neverlube, it is easy to bolt automation to them.

5- They dug my pool on Friday and put rebar in of Sunday. What they have done so far looks very good and professional. Should I be concerned that I haven't seen them all week?
    Perfectly normal (and madly frustrating)

Think hard about the pebbletec. Some people don't like the surface due to its roughness (tears up kids feet)
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    Looks fair to me.

Personally I would. A second one in the pool as well.

I like that they selected a 2 speed - good choice

Make sure the valves are Jandy Neverlube, it is easy to bolt automation to them.

Perfectly normal (and madly frustrating)

Think hard about the pebbletec. Some people don't like the surface due to its roughness (tears up kids feet)

the finish is actually an off brand version of pebbletec. I believe its call pebblestone, if anyone has some feedback it please chime in.

15. Back To Top    #15

16. Back To Top    #16

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

16,000 gallons, IG
    Pebble,Sand
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Under construnction 8-1-14
    Spa

17. Back To Top    #17

16,000 gallons, IG
    Pebble,Sand
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Spa

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm not sure where the current light is, but make sure it is not on the side of the pool to where it will point directly at the house. You want pointing towards the rear of the lot, not the back of the house. If adding a second light, do not have it on the front or rear of the pool. (You do not want to be swimming straight towards a bright light at the end of the deep end, or the front of the shallow end) I have read threads of woe where people left it up to builder to decide where to place lights, and were unhappy post=gunite. At that point, there's not really anything to be done about it.

Also, I would put a light in the spa. They make them smaller sized specifically for spas. My parents had the spa lighted at their pool, and I thought it looked nice. (You can always leave it turned off when you don't want it on...)

19. Back To Top    #19

We have those Jandy LED lights and I personally think they are not that bright. I would consider adding another one at the opposite end from the current light.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

20. Back To Top    #20

Light is going in the center pointed away from house

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to add a second light to the spa.
    16,000 gallons, IG
    Pebble,Sand
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Spa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast