Once MA always MA?

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I'm curious regarding this scenario. Let's say a particular pool has a mustard algae problem and it was properly addressed. If this pool were to drift below safe levels of the FC, would it get mustard algae again? Regular one? Both?

And in more generic terms - what is the actual source of algae of any kind? Let's imagine that there is a pool with virgin clean water. If we let it go, how does it start developing algae and where does it come from?

Yes, you'll get algae if you don't maintain proper levels of chlorine. Imagine yourself in a moist environment plus humidity and junk flying through the air - all this happening without you being able to use soap and not being able to move around.

Try putting a pop bottle filled with tap water on a window ledge. Depending on the heat and lack of circulation you'll see algae in a few days.

"Many species of algae are really just single cells. These cells can survive out of water for long periods of time, often as a resting phase, like a spore. The spores are literally everywhere in the atmosphere of earth. They are kind of like pollen in that regard.

If you sterilized your pool completely and then left it open to air, new spores will blow in and start growing.

More complex species or tender species of algae are tranported between separate bodies of water by animals like aquatic birds - ducks, herons, etc. These guys probably do not frequent your pool."

Read more: http://www.physicsforums.com
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=241434

i think i might not have been clear on my question. of course you will get algae if the levels are lower that required, that's kinda given.

my question was - if a pool had mustard algae that was properly addressed and if that pool drifted into low FC levels again, is it likely that it will get mustard algae back as opposed to regular algae?

In the general sense that there was more potential for some MA to have been left behind, then yes. Otherwise, I'm not sure it would be, unless there was much more of a spore source in your location than say, mine.

That's potentially an impossible question to answer. But since I like riddles, here's my opinion.

Yes, but not due to anything in the pool itself. I'd say that if a pool has had mustard algae, there's something in it's general vicinity which donated the spores....so that would still be the case later. Of course I don't have all the info avail on mustard algae, but this is my opinion. It's worth what you paid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.