High calcium hardness. Adjustment to other values??

TXRN

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2014
Austin, TX
Good afternoon,

Just a little back story: I'm a new pool owner and still trying to get the hang of things...usually after I do something wrong. When we first bought our house & this lovely pool, the CYA was over 200 according to the pool company that provided the pre-purchase inspection. So right before we went on vacation, we drained the pool approx 40-50% and replaced. At that point, CYA = 90, but CH that was previously normal is now 625. After coming home from vacation last week, my pool was a lovely shade of green but I couldn't figure out why I was getting algae if my FC was in the "acceptable, if not high" range (FC=5) on both my testing and at the local pool store. Low and behold, I discovered TFP website and learned with a CYA of 90, FC of 5 wasn't nearly high enough. So after a 3 days of SLAMing my pool based on the guidelines here and over a week before it cleared up (I think r/t filtering issues because FC was remaining stable at that point) things are under control. Pool is clean and clear : )

So as of this morning my values are: FC 5 (ran out of reagent & order just came in...I know, bad, bad), CC 0.5, pH 7.6, TA 90, CH 625, CYA 90. According to the pool calculator, I added 132 oz of bleach to bring my FC up to recommended level. Do I need to adjust any other values to compensate for the high calcium hardness? Not sure if it matters, but we are in Austin, TX and our pool gets mostly full sun from about noon. We do have lots of trees surrounding pool that are constantly dropping leaves, acorns, pollen, & other fun debris.

Thank you in advance for any guidance and expertise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.