Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pool, first test results with TF 100

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool, first test results with TF 100

Like a kid on Christmas I ran out as soon as the ups guy came!

FC 5.5
    CC none
    CH 225
    TA 30
    CYA 70

How bad of shape am I in?

I am attaching a photo of the chemicals that were left here, should I grab more/different?

What do I need to do to improve the feel of my water?
    25k Gallon IG, Vinyl liner, In Floor Cleaning System, Jacuzzi Earthworks DE 75 filter, Hayward H Series Propane Heater, TF-100 Test-Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, first test results with TF 100

Looks like picture didn't attach, here's the link

https://picasaweb.google.com/1120138...LivjZq-sPjK2wE
    25k Gallon IG, Vinyl liner, In Floor Cleaning System, Jacuzzi Earthworks DE 75 filter, Hayward H Series Propane Heater, TF-100 Test-Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What does your water look like? What is your pH?

I couldn't make the photo stay on screen long enough to see what you had.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Could your post the ingredients from each of the chemicals?

Do you have a SWG? If not, that CYA could use a bit of adjustment down.

Your FC is close to the bare minimum for your CYA, so you do need to get some bleach in there soon.

See this chart:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

See also:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...nate-your-pool

And:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Your FC to CYA ratio is good. Just don't let FC drop below 5 ppm for that CYA. When dosing FC, I would target 8 ppm to give you some headroom for chlorine loss due to sunlight (which is normal).

One key parameter that is missing is pH. Did you just forget to post that or do you not have that parameter available?

As for your chems...

• I would discontinue using the tabs. Regular use of the tabs will increase your CYA which is approaching the upper-bound of what is practical for maintaining a swimming pool. You can, however, hang onto them for temporary use when you will be out of town for more than a weekend.
    • Alkalinity Rise: Likely repackaged baking soda. Check the label - if it is 95-100% sodium bicarbonate, hang onto it. You can probably use it to increase TA (which your test results indicate is low).
    • Balance Pak: Not sure what that is. I can tell you that I've never used it. Place that one in the toss pile.
    • Algaecide: Cannot see the label. We only recommend algaecides for specific situations and the only one we recommend is Polyquat 60. Look for 60% of this active ingredient: Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio)ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]. If you do not see this ingredient on the label, toss it.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

The pH test only goes down to 6.8, and it was a bit lighter yellow then that.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbull
    The pH test only goes down to 6.8, and it was a bit lighter yellow then that.
    If that's the case, I would definitely increase that into the mid-7's by using washing soda or soda ash...quickly. Note that washing soda is not the same as baking soda. For your pool and TA of 30, I would add about 50 oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash and then retest pH.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

8. Back To Top    #8

CHEMICALS:

Algecide
    Active ingredients
    - alkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...... 9.96%
    - dialkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) methyl benzyl ammonium chloride......0.04%
    Inert ingredients...... 90%

Balance pak 300 (for raising calcium hardness)
    * I can't find ingredient list on this anywhere*

Alkalinity rise
    - sodium hydrogen carbonate

3" tablets (stabilized chlorinator)
    Active ingredient
    - trichloro-s-trianzinetrione........ 99%
    Other ingredients........ 1%

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    What does your water look like? What is your pH?

I couldn't make the photo stay on screen long enough to see what you had.
    Water is clear and clean! Wish it felt more like a saltwater pool though....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    If that's the case, I would definitely increase that into the mid-7's by using washing soda or soda ash...quickly. Note that washing soda is not the same as baking soda. For your pool and TA of 30, I would add about 50 oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash and then retest pH.
    Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

Just dump it in the deep end with pump running? Do I need to keep kids out of the pool for a certain amount of time?

(this is my first pool so please bear with me while I ask dumb questions!)

- - - Updated - - -

What other chemicals, brand and type, should I have on hand?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Could your post the ingredients from each of the chemicals?

Do you have a SWG? If not, that CYA could use a bit of adjustment down.

Your FC is close to the bare minimum for your CYA, so you do need to get some bleach in there soon.

See this chart:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

See also:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...nate-your-pool

And:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals

Thank you for the links!! How do I tell when my pool needs more salt? And how much to add?

11. Back To Top    #11

Bostonbull, it looks like your pool suffered a pH/TA crash, which is normally due to using tabs/pucks.

As Bo mentioned, you do need to address the pH and TA ASAP. Once you get he pH in the mid 7's, retest the TA before you adjust it.

- - - Updated - - -

oh! congrats on getting the kit
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

For your salt, you can get a drop based kit or Aqua Chek salt test strips.

You can order them from http://tftestkits.net/Individual-Tests-c6/

As far as what other chemicals you may need, check out:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

It's all in Pool School. I didn't want to overwhelm you with too much at first, but there is a huge amount of info in Pool School.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks everyone!

I will add the 50oz tomorrow, buy some bleach, and get a salt test kit as well and report back.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbull
    CHEMICALS:

Algecide
    Active ingredients
    - alkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...... 9.96%
    - dialkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) methyl benzyl ammonium chloride......0.04%
    Inert ingredients...... 90%

Balance pak 300 (for raising calcium hardness)
    * I can't find ingredient list on this anywhere*

Alkalinity rise
    - sodium hydrogen carbonate

3" tablets (stabilized chlorinator)
    Active ingredient
    - trichloro-s-trianzinetrione........ 99%
    Other ingredients........ 1%
    Thanks for posting the label information

Toss the Balance Pak 300 and the algaecide. You never want to add anything to your pool without knowing what's in it and the impact it will have on the pool.

Keep the Alkalinity Rise and the 3" trichlor tabs. The Alkalinity Rise is repackaged baking soda which can be labeled sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate and can be used to increase TA. When this product runs out, I would get baking soda at the grocery store or warehouse club which will likely save you $. The tabs can be temporarily used to keep the pool chlorinated when it will be unattended for more than a couple of days.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbull View Post
    Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

Just dump it in the deep end with pump running? Do I need to keep kids out of the pool for a certain amount of time?
    This is likely the brand that will be easiest to find:

It's shouldn't cause any distress to anyone once it's thoroughly mixed in the pool. Like any powdered additive, I prefer to dissolve it in a bucket of warm water first and then pour the solution in, so that the granules don't sink to the bottom before they dissolve.
    15,000 gallon 16x30 IG w/vinyl liner built in 2006, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, Taylor K2006.

16. Back To Top    #16

How much bleach should I add? The bottle I have is 8%.

17. Back To Top    #17

Delete

18. Back To Top    #18

Check PoolMath. Link at the top of the page. Depends on your current test results.

In Pool School:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ool-calculator

19. Back To Top    #19

What should I set the right column "target" to? Leave at defaults?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbull View Post
    What should I set the right column "target" to? Leave at defaults?
    Go down toward the bottom of the worksheet and there's a row titled "Suggested Goal Levels." Click on the pull-down list for "Use suggested goal levels from:" and select "Troublefreepool.com". Then set the primary source of chlorine and the pool surface type. Be aware though that you need to add your own data into the sheet for some of the goals to be correct; e.g. your FC goal is dependent upon the existing CYA level.

You can then use the suggested goals to set your target values.
    15,000 gallon 16x30 IG w/vinyl liner built in 2006, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, Taylor K2006.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast