New contruction - temporary fake grass question

Aug 27, 2012
Hope I'm posting this in the right place... I'm in the midst of finishing construction on a new pool and was looking for some advice. I wont be able to add a surrounding deck for atleast a year, so Im looking to put some fake grass partially around the low end. It would be temporary till next spring and would basically be layed right on top of dirt/weeds/etc... I've heard from some friends that fake grass can be expansive and that many variations will not give me what I'm looking for. It was explained to me that some can allow the ground below to seep through the grass, ending up with mud piles all over the place.

Does anyone have experience with this? I don't wanna spend a fortune but I also want to make sure that it accomplishes what we are expecting without risking wasting money on the wrong product.

I would look into some gravel and stepping stones rather than "fake grass." Sounds like a mess waiting to happen to me. If you are building a deck over the area next year, id go gravel, then you just build your deck over it.

something else you may look into is some sod. put it around your pool where you want to get rid of the dirt. around me I can get 9 sq ft rolls for 2 bucks each if I load them as the guy cuts them. Water them in good for about 3-4 days and you have real grass with no mud. I just did both sides of my concrete deck where I still had dirt. Took 40 rolls at 2 bucks a piece. So for 80 bucks and a few days of watering I have 360 square feet of beautiful burmuda grass.

We were thinking sod would be a bad idea because of the landscapers. I envisioned our pool being covered with grass clippings. Stepping stones would work better then gravel, but we would still have to deal with mud. Was hoping there was a fake grass product out there that we could use, without a fill, that would keeps the dirt and mud below.

i can tell you now, grass clippings after mowing is going to happen regardless, unless you have no grass within about 50 feet of the pool and/or no wind. My ABG pool is 35 inches high and even aiming my lawn tractor shoot away from the pool, I still have to kick my pump on high for about 30-45 minutes after I mow to skim all the grass out. Id do the sod, mow with a bagger near the pool if you can, or aim the shoot away from pool. Then id do a path to the pool with some stepping stones to eliminate grass being tracked in. Thats probably your best bet until you get the deck.

Honestly, grass getting in your pool is nothing compared to blowing dirt. Dirt you have to vac out, grass floats for awhile and can be skimmed rather easily by simply kicking on your pump for a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.