Equipment comparison

Jul 21, 2008
Cape Coral, FL
I currently have the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 filter with the Whisper Flow wfe-8 2 hp pump. This system is approximately 2 years old.
I also have a Jandy CL460 filter and a JHP 1.5 pump. These components are 6 months old.

I like the Jandy pump better because the basket is about twice as big as the Pentair and it is also a 1.5HP verses the Pentair 2HP. which I have learned from this site is better. What I am most concerned is the reputation for durability.

Feel free to let the comments begin :lol:

actually the 2 hp whisperflo is very well mated to the clean and clear plus 420. It is also an energy efficient pump (model wfe-8). Where did you get the idea that a 1.5 hp pump is automatically better than a 2 hp pump? The performance curves for these two pumps are very similar and at 60 ft of head the Pentair 2 hp wil pump about 100 gph while the Jandy 1.5 hp will do about 90 gph.
I am not that familiar with the Jandy pump but the whisperflo is known in the industry as a very dependable pump and it actually is among the best single or two speed pumps high head pumps available. It is an extremely dependable pump.

As far as which filter to go with, check out the price of replacement carts. The both units takes 4 of them but Jandy replacements tend to be rather pricey,IMHO. Also, look at which is easier to disassemble and assemble (this is ijmportant since you will need to do this to clean the carts on a regular basis!) They both have pretty similar flow rates and are fairly interchangeable as far as flow rates and filtering ability goes.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it. I got the horsepower idea from this site after reading several threads. Basically that the power consumption from a 1.5hp verses a 2hp is less and the 2hp doesn't give you that much more flow is what I took away from the thread. So all I was doing was asking for a clarification :goodjob:

Since I have good equipment I will rest easier knowing that the previous didn't skimp out on the equipment.

Warlock1 said:
Thanks for the information I appreciate it. I got the horsepower idea from this site after reading several threads. Basically that the power consumption from a 1.5hp verses a 2hp is less and the 2hp doesn't give you that much more flow is what I took away from the thread. So all I was doing was asking for a clarification :goodjob:

Since I have good equipment I will rest easier knowing that the previous didn't skimp out on the equipment.

Your right about the energy consumption. A 2 HP will not give you much more in flow rate vs a 1.5 HP but will use a lot more energy. For example, on a standard pool setup with 2" return and 2 1/2" suction pipe, here is what you might expect from each pump:

2 HP Whisperflo: 98 GPM @ 68' of head and 38 GPM/kwh
1.5 HP Wisperflo: 94 GPM @ 63' of head and 42 GPM/kwh

So the 2 HP might have 4% more flow rate but it also consumes 15% more energy to get it. The 1.5 HP has a higher GPM/kwh which means in the long run it is more efficient to run. This is true of any pump with lower HP. The lower the HP, the higher the GPM/kwh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.