Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-DPD VS OTO for daily testing

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-DPD VS OTO for daily testing

Now that my chlorine is level for my likings, how should i go about daily testing? the K-1000? or the chlorine drop test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS-DPD VS OTO for daily testing

Depends on the FC level you have to maintain ... isn't yours above 5 which is the OTO limit?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Once you get in to a good rhythm of knowing how much chlorine the pool is using daily, it is fine to use the K-1000 daily. You should still check the level once or twice a week with the FAS/DPD test to accurately get the chlorine level.

Use the FAS/DPD test daily until you know how the pool is behaving. If the CYA level is high then I would hesitate to switch to the OTO test.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Always an interesting question. It seems to me like about half of the members just really like the precision the FAS/DPD gives them but the other (equal) half is very satisfied staying with OTO.

I like FAS/DPD for my rhythm of testing but you should find what suits you best.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been using both for the last month or so. I'm outside the real range for OTO (CYA is 90), but it still gives me a pretty good idea. I've been practicing guessing how many drops FAS-DPD will take based on the OTO color. I'm getting better.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't measure levels with OTO, just get a quick confirmation that things have not gone completely wrong (i.e. chlorine hasn't dropped to near zero). Then I use FAS-DPD once a week to get an exact level and see if the SWG needs adjusting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't use the FAS-DPD test for the precision, I use it every day because I have a hard enough time matching the pH color. I don't need to frustrate myself matching shades of yellow also. For me it is much easier to just count drops until the sample goes clear. Once you get the hang of it, you can do whichever you find easier.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

What about just strips for a daily quick check? Someone started a thread here where they compare the strips to a proper test and they found that they were ok for FC and pH but not so good for other tests. I have been comparing my strips to my Taylor kit and that seems to concur with my results.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

9. Back To Top    #9

I would never use or recommend strips. Too often seen bad results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I also struggle with the shades of yellow.. I really like the speedstir with my FAS-DPD test. I actually have my grandaughters convinced that I can tell not only if the Ool was peed in but WHO peed in the Ool with all the fancy testing that I do. It is hilarious, because I am always right!
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ranger_ric View Post
    I also struggle with the shades of yellow.. I really like the speedstir with my FAS-DPD test. I actually have my grandaughters convinced that I can tell not only if the Ool was peed in but WHO peed in the Ool with all the fancy testing that I do. It is hilarious, because I am always right!
    Very good, I used to do that too with my son and their friends when he was young. I told them that pH was short for "pee H", and warned them I would know if anyone was doing something they shouldn't in the pool! Sometimes I would glare accusingly while testing, as all the kids exclaimed "it wasn't me!"
    25000 Gallon gunite and plaster, 100 perimeter feet. Pool built 1996, original owner.
    Uniclor 2400 external brine membrane chlorine generator.
    Kreepy Krauly inground cleaner, suction side.
    Sta-Rite System 3 filter, 300 sq foot cartridge with 1.5 lb cellulose filter aid used.
    Sta-Rite Max-E glass 2 HP pump, Solar Cover for heat retention and evaporation control.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

What about just strips for a daily quick check? Someone started a thread here where they compare the strips to a proper test and they found that they were ok for FC and pH but not so good for other tests.
    I see no point. Who is the "someone" who started that thread? How many thousands of others do it the way we suggest? Which method makes sense.....the "someone" or the proven thousands?

1. "OK for FC and PH but not so good for other tests?"

2. Dependability and repeatability with OTO and then dead-on accuracy when you do the full complement of tests.

You are certainly encouraged to test and manage your water any way you like on your own pool but you will not be encouraged to take half-measures and short cut the whole point of what we teach........accuracy and dependability and interpretation of those accurate results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I was kinda shocked on saturday my FC was 13, this morning it was 5.5! i added 35oz bleach to bring it up to like 8

14. Back To Top    #14

2 days later, that much drop is not really surprising.

And 8 may not be high enough to stay above your minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

i know, im trying to conserve chlorine though, I dont go to the store except on weekends in which i will get a 3 box pack of bleach from Costco

16. Back To Top    #16

Do you have a solar cover? If so, keeping that on during the day can cut down on chlorine loss.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

17. Back To Top    #17

Adding chlorine daily will use much less total chlorine than adding chlorine every other day. Loss to sunlight is a percentage of your starting level, so you lose way more on the first day of a two day run than you would if you didn't have to go that high to provide for the second day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School