Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blonde hair and Intex SWG with Copper

1. Back To Top    #1

Blonde hair and Intex SWG with Copper

Hi,

Reading up on the Intex CS8110 with Copper, it seems as though it only turns blonde hair green.

If no one in my family has blonde hair, should I still worry about the copper ions in the water?

Thanks
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" AGP
    Hayward DE EC50 w/1.5HP Pump
    Taylor K-1004 Test Kit
    Intek 2014 SWG - Copper Disconnected

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blonde hair and Intex SWG with Copper

It can get so high that your water will turn green and cause pool surface staining.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It'll also turn red heads green and as Robbie has already mentioned, turn your water green and stain the liner.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

For what it's worth, we've used our Intex SWG for 4 or 5 years now, and have never had an issue with anything or anyone turning green. I don't know if it makes any difference, but we always take it down at the end of the season, so the water is never more than 3-4 months old in it. Maybe if we used the same water for a longer period of time, we would see this? I don't know.
    18x52 Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter & Intex SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Some (if not most) of the concerns we have with metals and CYA go away for temporary pools. By the time you get high levels, you are tearing it down anyway.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

You could always just unplug the copper bars if you're worried about green hair or staining. Might have to give it a little force, but the cord should come off. Be sure to unscrew the small black nut first though.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

I had disconnected the wire since I installed it, so didn't have to worry about staining/green hair, was just wondering.

I'm sure boost will still work, just won't be dumping copper ions into the water.
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" AGP
    Hayward DE EC50 w/1.5HP Pump
    Taylor K-1004 Test Kit
    Intek 2014 SWG - Copper Disconnected

8. Back To Top    #8

No problems here with copper and the three others I know with Intex SWGs haven't had problems either. I know copper can cause problems, but with Intex SWGs I really wonder how much it actually happens.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Green hair with SWG and none without. However, I was not able to get the settings the way they should have been.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

My son at 9 years old last summer had a very very slight touch of green to his light blond hair. He was in the pool daily last summer if not twice a day. I'm not sure on the hours per day he was in but he was in the pool a lot. We took the pool down for the winter and set it back up this summer with and so far no green highlights in his hair! lol

We love the pool, it's just not big enough!
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex