Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about pvc

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about pvc

Getting ready to change some of the plumbing... a couple of questions.

1. I'm thinking of adding a union to facilitate future repairs. Are the unions for schedule 40 pvc pipe standardized? I know the unions on my heater and SWG are specialized items, so if I need to replace one of those pipes I have to buy the matching union parts. But what about just a regular pipe union? Can I buy one now from, say, Home Depot and later be able to buy a mating union even if Home Depot changes suppliers?

2. I see on youtube videos people repairing pool plumbing are using either Oatey Pool-Tite or Weld-On Pool Heavy solvent glues for pvc... neither of which seem to be available at Home Depot or Lowes. Is there something special about these "pool" glues, or would something for normal plumbing work just as well?
    13K gal in-ground plaster/3M-Colorquartz, 1HP Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-4, Pentair SMBW-4060 DE filter, Pentair MiniMax 400DV heater, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS, Poolvergneugen cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about pvc

Home Depot carries the Oatey "Rain-R-Shine", which is a medium cement, thanks. I guess no one knows the answer to the union question?
    13K gal in-ground plaster/3M-Colorquartz, 1HP Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-4, Pentair SMBW-4060 DE filter, Pentair MiniMax 400DV heater, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS, Poolvergneugen cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Most that I've used have been standardized. but then I've always bought from essentially the same suppliers.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply. Strange that the two replies about pool-specialized pvc cement disappeared...

5. Back To Top    #5

They are not standardized. Home Depot changed their supplier a couple of years ago and the old halves and the new halves will not mate. Different coupling thread diameters.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Bummer... not being standardized makes them pretty much useless for many purposes (like mine!). I guess I could buy a spare now, and keep it until I need to redo the pipes again to replace the heater and/or pump. I'd probably lose it or forget what it's for, by that time. Thanks for the helpful info!

7. Back To Top    #7

I've found out that the unions from Home Depot also do not mate to the unions from Lowes. I also prefer the unions from Lowes over the ones from Home Depot.

-Garry
    Above-Ground Pool 24' x 52" (13,500 gal)
    Installed May 2011
    Hayward 1HP Power-Flo Pump. Hayward 150lb Sand Filter, Main drain
    Plumbed with Flexible PVC & Fittings June 2013, Modified Slotted Return Jet for Increased Circulation (2014)