Dull water (tons of rain recently)

lsaad

Jul 30, 2013
Hi all,

This is the first year I've used the TFP method and it's working great. Why, just last week I was thinking of writing a post titled, "My Pool Is So Easy to Take Care Of -- Could I Be Missing Anything??" But seriously, the pool has been crystal clear all year so far.... til now ...

We had tons of rain here in northern NJ the past couple of days and twice now it's gotten dull, almost cloudy. The first time I shocked it and it recovered in a few hours. Today, it's not recovering from shocking, vacuuming, etc. All numbers are in a good range.

Two questions:

1. With the numbers shown below, is it safe for my kids to swim?
2. What is the best course of action... run filter 24 hours for awhile and wait, or keep shocking and wait, or something else...?

Here are our numbers:

FC = 15
CC = 0
PH = 7.4
TA = 60
CYA = 70

I just added some baking soda to raise the TA a bit (and PH slightly).

Many many thanks and Happy 4th!

Stats: Pool is 20,000 gal, in ground vinyl, DE filter

Assuming you can see the bottom, your FC is less than the shock value for your CYA, so it is safe.

Have you performed the OCLT? It does not appear that you are following the SLAM process.

No, I have not done this, and I did not even consider this, since it happened two times in a row with bad rain and lots of debris getting into the pool, so I thought I could just shock and vacuum. I've never needed to do this before actually, but I will do the OCLT tonight and SLAM if needed. Thanks so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.