Cartridge filter element question

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
I noticed that there are several choices for replacement cartridge filter elements (pleatco, unicell,filber,etc.) Does anyone have any info as to which brand (if any) use the lowest micron rating? Does any manufacturer have anything down around the 5 micron rating?

I have heard of many issues with Pleatco. The fabric is not the same quality as Unicell or Filber. But I don't think any will filter down to 5 micron. Why is that important to you?

I have heard of many issues with Pleatco. The fabric is not the same quality as Unicell or Filber. But I don't think any will filter down to 5 micron. Why is that important to you?

It's not "important" but given the choice of 15 micron element vs 5 micron I would try the 5 micron. I think it would be nice to achieve filtration levels close to DE without the hassle of DE

It don't think it is possible with a cartridge. Plus the human eye can't see much below 100 microns so I don't see the point.

Another option to increasing the filter capability of a cartridge is to add some synthetic DE (cellusose fiber), to a cartridge filter, I've done it in the past and it's worked well. It comes off when you clean/rinse the filter out.

Another option to increasing the filter capability of a cartridge is to add some synthetic DE (cellusose fiber), to a cartridge filter, I've done it in the past and it's worked well. It comes off when you clean/rinse the filter out.

Can you elaborate on how this is done? I am interested ... aside from opening day my water has looked great. and I have time to tinker around I would like to try and polish the water further.

Just don't use real DE as that will ruin a cartridge filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.