Vaccum not working on Summer Escapes with retrofitted Intex pump

May 17, 2014
Winnipeg
When I connect my primed vaccum hose to my primed pump the suction stops and slowly returns but then keeps stopping and starting. The ratio is about 1:5 suction to no suction. I'm not really sure what is going on. When I set up the pool last week I took off the original Summer Escapes 2000 GPH pump and retrofitted an Intex 2500 GPH pump. I have also installed the larger Intex 2" intake and outtake hoses that come with shutoff valves between the skimmer basket and pump, and the pump and pool return jet. The vaccum hose is only 1.5" so is the problem due to the hose differences? Do the hoses need to be the same size? The vaccum hose in my case connects to a round disc with a 90 degree takeoff that sits inside the skimmer basket.

Some other posts about vaccums say to check for suction side leaks. When I turn on the pump with no vaccum it works just fine and very strong. When the pump is turned off I can see no leaky connections at all.

I understand this retrofit is a common one so I'm really hoping someone else has experienced this:(, and resolved it:D

If you have the newer style of plunger valves with the vacuum break "safety feature", you won't be able to use a vacuum with them until you plug that little cap by the handle.

AHA! Is that what the 2 clear caps that came with the valves are for? How exactly do they go on?

To confirm, are these the vacuum breaks that need to be capped?valves.jpg

EDIT: Yes, that was the fix. They just snap into place on top of those break valves. Thanks Charlie!:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.